Chinese-Forums

Intensive Summer Programs in the US?

feihua

I've looked at some listings, like on www.clta.osu.edu . But I was wondering if anyone had any opinions/information on US programs? I was looking at Monterey's progam, as well as UCLA and Ohio etc. I'm looking for summer 2006.

Although I know going to the target country is the best way to learn, I'm not really interested in living in China for an extended period of time. So I want to find out what are good programs in the US. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated on which are good schools.

Thanks.

Well, if you've got some time during the summer, I hear that Middlebury's program is pretty good. Although I haven't myself attended, I have heard very positive reviews about the program. Had a few profs try to convince me to spend some time there: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls/chinese

Cornell Chinese FALCON is fantastic. It stands for Full Year Asian Language Concentration, but you don't need to enroll for the entire year. Summer is used for intensive introductory study.

http://lrc.cornell.edu/falcon/chinese.html

I admit I'm biased: I studied chinese the entire time I was at Cornell (cantonese for one year and mandarin for 2-3 years). It's a lot of work but the teachers, materials, teaching approach, and facilities are stellar. I didn't personally partcipate in FALCON but many of my classmates in my mandarin classes did. The ones who did the summer program definitely came out with a very strong foundation for the language.