Chinese-Forums

Computing at BLCU, or Beijing in general

UC_nostradamus

Sorry to add another thread to all the various and sundry queries about universities in Beijing, but I had a quick question about computing while at BLCU. I will be doing the year-long program this fall and was wondering if it was worth bringing my laptop. It's quite an old thing, maybe 3 or 4 years, but still works fine. I would bring it for emails, word processing, and to store digital photos.

I was wondering if anyone who previously studied at BLCU or any other university has brought their laptop to Beijing. What's the internet situation like? Is it in the room? Or are there labs? Will I need it for assignments? Is theft a problem in the dorms?

Any input into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I never bothered to bring my laptop as it's simply not necessary. Computer labs are available on campus, though for a minimal charge, at least for temporary students like I was.

I've stayed in two different dorms and visited another, none of them had an ethernet port built-in, at least I didn't see any, not that I was really looking though.

Theft isn't really a problem in the dorms as the security is quite tight. The dorm room keys are left at the front desk when you leave and you pick it up when you come back. The people at the front desk are very strict about allowing "strangers" in, that could be a good or bad thing. A friend of mine from Beijing, who wasn't a student at BLCU, wasn't allowed in the dorms with me, which upset me a little but then many potential thieves are probably also kept out this way. If you trust your roommate then theft shouldn't really be a problem.