Chinese-Forums

美国:特朗普被起诉违宪 白宫指责“有政治动机”

i__forget

The title above is google-translated as <<United States: Trump was prosecuted unconstitutional White House accused of "politically motivated">>

Now the Wikipedia article for Donald Trump writes his name as 唐納·川普, "Tang na Chuan pu".

So... where exactly in 美国:特朗普被起诉违宪 白宫指责“有政治动机” are the characters for Trump?

Many thanks! Sorry if this is not the right forum.

24 minutes ago, i__forget said:

So... where exactly in 美国:特朗普被起诉违宪 白宫指责“有政治动机” are the characters for Trump?

I've highlighted them in red.

There are many ways to transliterate an English name in to Chinese.  特朗普 is the official transliteration, but many people prefer to use 川普 in casual usage.

The Chinese language doesn't have long syllables such as "Trump", which is a one syllable word in English. It's made up of shorter syllables, each represented by a character. 

That's why the name sounds longer in Chinese, because it's actually made up of three syllables instead of one (特朗普).

I assume that 川普 is used simply to make it shorter, even though the pronunciation is a bit less accurate.

And I personally can't think of a name in Chinese which sounds more like Trump than 特朗普. 

Personally I think 川普 sounds better and is easier to say.  I also think it's more accurate than 特朗普.

特朗普 is an attempt to get more accurate with the first sound, but it does that at the expense of the accuracy of the rest of the name.  Using 'Te' at the start means it has to add an extra syllable in the middle that makes it sound more awkward.  Not to mention a 'te' sound followed by an 'r' sound is awkward to pronounce (maybe similar to 'a elephant' vs 'an elephant') and so an 'l' sound is used to make it more comfortable to pronounce but that takes it further away from the English sound.

I don't really think you'll be able to get a closer sound than these 2.  Anything you choose will have differences, mostly because Chinese doesn't have any syllables that end in 'm', and syllables that have a 't' or an 'r' sound only have that sound at the beginning of the syllable and then vowels and other consonants in between.  This means you can't have a clear 'Tr' sound (you will always have a vowel between them) and you can have a clear 'mp' sound (likewise always a vowel sound between them).

I also think 川普 is more accurate.

But 川普 already has a meaning: 四川人講的普通話 or Mandarin with a heavy Sichuanese accent.

I think that's part of the reason why the official transliteration is 特朗普. You don't want giggles when the host is introducing a foreign head of state.

And yes these two are probably the closest you can get.

Chinese syllable structure is simpler than English. In English you can have up to three consonants at the beginning (str-, spl-) and another three at the end (-nx, -mps). But Modern Standard Mandarin doesn't allow consonant clusters, and -n and -ng are the only consonants allowed at the end of a syllable.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2017 at 4:06 PM, i__forget said:

Now the Wikipedia article for Donald Trump writes his name as 唐納·川普, "Tang na Chuan pu".

Not if you select 大陆简体 .  If you look carefully the Wikipedia article is marked as manually converted (traditional / simplified), so someone has gone through the article adjusting translations manually according to the 'official' translation of proper names of each region.  You should learn to look for this marking and prepare to select your preferred region, it is on a lot of articles on Chinese Wikipedia, as it is quite common for Taiwan and Mainland to have wildly different translations of the same name.

1 hour ago, dwq said:

Not if you select 大陆简体 .  If you look carefully the Wikipedia article is marked as manually converted (traditional / simplified), so someone has gone through the article adjusting translations manually according to the 'official' translation of proper names of each region.  You should learn to look for this marking and prepare to select your preferred region, it is on a lot of articles on Chinese Wikipedia, as it is quite common for Taiwan and Mainland to have wildly different translations of the same name.

Could you help me locate this? I notice https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/唐納·川普 uses traditional characters while I'm more interested in the simplified of China. Thanks