Chinese-Forums

Word List Arranged by Repeating Characters?

Micadeli

Sorry guys I'm not sure how to word my question. 

I'm looking to save myself a ton of time and thought I would check to see if the community knows of an HSK (or otherwise) word list that is arranged by repeating characters.  I want to find a word list or flashcard set(s) that were built for studying words containing the same character. For example, if I study a HSK flashcard set (in alphabetical order or not) and I encounter the words 爱好, 爱情, and 爱心,then it may be quite some time before I get to see 恋爱 or 热爱. I'm looking for a list or set that has all of this arranged already.  I've started the process of arranging them myself, and have attached a screenshot for you to see what I mean.

Does anyone know of anything like this already out there somewhere?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 2.26.14 PM.png

It doesn't need to be a ton of time.

Suppose you have a word list

愛好

安靜

按時

愛護

安排

按照

First you extract all the unique characters from it. There are number of ways doing that. The result will be "愛好安靜按時護排照".

Import it into a database, let's say SQLite, table name 'chars', column name 'col1'. Sort it if you like.

Import your word list into another table 'words'. Then

SELECT DISTINCT words.* FROM chars LEFT JOIN words ON words.col1 LIKE '%' || chars.col1 || '%'

will give you

愛好

愛護

安靜

安排

按時
按照

There will be no duplicate words. If that's not what you want, just remove the DISTINCT keyword and it will look like

愛好

愛護

愛好

安靜

安排

安靜

按時
按照

按時

愛護

安排

按照

• Like 1

Pleco gives you a list of words beginning with and words containing the target character.

I highly recommend Pleco for any student of chinese.

You can make flashcard lists very easily.

Although I can understand why you may want to do this, it might not be the best thing, one of the best bits of advice I was given was not to learn words of the same sound but different meanings together as it can be confusing having several for example "shi"s running round in your head.

I did a review of Pleco, it gives and overview of the flashcards and the dictionary here http://www.livethelanguage.cn/pleco-review/

http://www.livethelanguage.cn/pleco-review-part-i/

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

A word of warning: learning similar words at the same times slows down the acquisition process rather than speeding it up. It increases the likelihood of confusing various words. As is often recommended, it is always better taking words in context. I suggest getting the HSK standard books and learning them chapter by chapter, frequently rereading or listening to the text for review.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mkmyers45 said:

the hsk vocab list sorted by hanzi is sadly no long working 

The link worked for me just now.

8 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

learning similar words at the same times slows down the acquisition process rather than speeding it up.

Doesn't that depend on what you mean by "learning"? 

Taking care to study words with similar characters in relevant contexts and to specifically avoid mixing them up could overcome that?

EDIT: OK, point taken, this will slow things down.  But speed isn't everything! ?

Regarding the HSK standard textbooks, the level 4 one at least specifically has a section in each chapter to look at words which share a similar character, and has fill-the-gap exercises to test them (briefly) in context.

(I just checked and the HSK 3 book has a "word game" in each chapter showing 2 words and you have to guess the meaning of a third word using a character from each of the 2... quite a nice way of introducing them.)

When I was studying for HSK 2-3 I found these charts very useful to see which words in the standard vocabulary had common characters.  I found as I studied more I kept coming across characters that looked familiar, and seeing where they fit into other words — often in quite a logical way — helped me to start to make sense of how they were being used. 

I downloaded the SVG files, opened them in Chrome and printed them to a PDF which I found made it easier to browse, zoom in and out, and so on.

By HSK 4 it does start to get a bit unwieldy though, just in terms of sheer number of words being visualised. 

On 1/29/2019 at 4:38 AM, mungouk said:

The link worked for me just now.

Hey Mungouk

What resources are using for your HSK 4 study? I also plan to take the exam before may. Are you using any graded reader series? which particular pods are you using for listening?

Cheers

1 hour ago, mkmyers45 said:

What resources are using for your HSK 4 study?

I'm having 1:1 lessons 2-3 times a week, working through the HSK 4 standard course textbooks (2 books, 10 chapters each). 

I have the workbooks as well and will start working through those at some point with my teacher.  Both these sets of books come with quite a bit of audio.

I've had one of the Sinolingua graded readers sitting around for a while (500 words) but haven't started reading it yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mungouk said:

I've had one of the Sinolingua graded readers sitting around for a while (500 words) but haven't started reading it yet.

Where did you get this? When do you plan on taking the test?