Chinese-Forums

Visa and Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center

iekkim

Hi all,

I've tried asking the school but I can't seem to understand what they're trying to tell me so I am hoping that you guys can help me. So, here's the situation...

I'm set to go to Shanghai in September and will be entering with a student visa BUT, I'll be heading to Xiamen for a few days to visit some relatives first. So... September 1 - Flight to Xiamen, sometime between September 4 to 6 - Flight to Shanghai. Since I'll need to process my resident visa as soon as I get into China, more specifically, in Shanghai, within a certain time period. How should I go about this?

So, as I was emailing with them (note that I am still confused)... I was then told that I should reserve online for the SITHC, but since I'm going to be there on September, won't it be too early to book a reservation now? I keep getting a prompt that "There is no reservation time available on this date. Select the recent date by system?" When should I reserve?

Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Since I am required to get a residence permit, I was told to register with the Police within 24 hours of my arrival (to China). When I asked the school about this problem, they told me (via email) that I need to register in Shanghai and when I asked again, they said I need to register in Xiamen. Since these two answers left me confused, I decided to call my local Chinese embassy and they told me that I need to register where I am staying the longest, which is in Shanghai. 

Seeing as you'll be studying in shanghai, you probably register there for the residence permit.  And I've been told by my travel agency that it has to be within 30 days of your arrival in China, not 24hrs. Hope that helps :)

As what I know, if you'll enter China with a student visa, you can register for the residence permit within 30 days From the day you enter China. And you'll have to register in Shanghai since it's where you're going to stay (during your studies). I hope this can help, for you not to be confused. 

Different registrations!

If you're staying in a home or other private place, then you need to register your lodging address at the PSB paichusuo covering the address within 24 hours, a bit longer in rural areas. This is a continuing requirement as you move around China.

No need for this when you're staying in a hotel, university dorm or similar place. They take care of registering you.

Getting your residence permit is a different matter involving a different office of the PSB, the Exit-Entry Administration.