Chinese-Forums

Can agents legitmatly expose teachers like this?

everybodylovesnaymon

everybodylovesnaymon

Just saw an agent post this on WeChat (not about me but removing any personal details). Can they do what they are threatening to do, especially if he doesn't apparently have a working visa or valid contract with school. The blatant racism particularly surprised me, as well as the fact they are posting his details and passport photo over social media to try catch him.

Attention! Bastard Exposure! 
This American man, whose passport number is #########, cheated one Chinese school 7,000 RMB by telling school that he would go back to USA to do Z visa. School and I trusted him, but later, he deleted me and school from his Wechat. Currently, he is somewhere in China now. Shame of black Americans! I start to know the reason why Chinese schools do not like to hire black teachers. School and I plan to report him to police station and Entry & Enter Admission Bureau, to bring him into justice. Once he takes planes and trains, he will be caught by police. Here I hope someones who know him provide me his info., to help police catch him ASAP! 谁知道这个美国黑人外教 Jason在哪儿?此外教欺骗学校7000元钱说是回国办理工签,半道儿逃跑了!!有这个王八蛋消息的学校和中介,希望提供信息,我们要去派出所和出入境备案,把这种骗子绳之以法!!

The racism doesn't really surprise me unfortunately.

As you say, it appears he didn't  have a work visa with the school anyway so didn't run out on a contract or residence permit. The school can't hold a release letter over his head as there isn't one. 

Unlikely the police care that much about this to be honest. More likely the guy wrote that post to try scare any other teachers he has on his books who might be thinking about doing a runner.

• Like 1

everybodylovesnaymon

I was nosey and asked the agent anyway lol. She wrote that he worked there 1 month and then school told him he needs z visa, so they apparently gave him 7000Y to go back to the states and apply only for him to do a runner in China lol! Not sure how much of this story I buy.

This post on updates rules regarding privacy for full-time workers in China was recently posted to reddit. I don't see anything that specifically addresses this instance, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shanghai/comments/6jibml/finally_foreign_expats_workers_tefl_teachers_now/

Unless he has exceptional contacts at the PSB, I don't see this becoming a police matter. Sounds like a typical business dispute. No doubt "Jason" has his side of the story.

But the agent/school are doing themselves no favours by posting this. Who would ever consider dealing with such foul-tempers.

ChTTay is right. If they were actually trying to catch this guy they'd probably have put it out mostly or wholly in Chinese, that would be much more effective. Bit weird that they saved the casual racism for the English and not the Chinese bit. That's a bit of a fail.

If you want you can look up "being black in China" and "teaching English while black in China" so you won't to be surprised next time :/