Chinese-Forums

another packing question: sleeping bag?

etcetera24

I'm planning to do some budget travelling during my year in China. Long overnight trains might be involved at some point (eg. Trans-Sib or Trans-Mong)

backpackers and budget travellers: is it worth bringing my sleeping bag? I'm packing for a year so I need to justify everything I bring given limited luggage space.

Wouldn't worry about a sleeping bag. A silk liner (pocket sheet) is worth taking. If worst comes to worst, you can use this and ask for blankets.

Most sleepers (buses/trains) will provide basic bed linen. If you get a compartment/bed which has not been changed since previous passenger, ask for replacements.

Trans-Mongolian/Siberian trains supply ample blankets and linens. You may want to consider bringing an inflatable sleeping pad, as this makes the somewhat hard bunks far more agreeable. Remember to keep the windows closed through the Mongolian desert if don't want a dirt blanket.