Chinese-Forums

Installing Google Play store on Xiaomi phone

Xiao Kui

@艾摹本 -- “Yesterday I could access google play without a VPN. I can't today.”

Things like that change for me day to day also,here in Yunnan. Sometimes even within a single day from hour to hour. Sometimes what I can access and how (with or without VPN) seems to correlate with my available connection speed. On slow days, or slow hours, what I can access is more restricted.

When the time comes for me to leave China, the one thing I will not miss is the Chinese Internet. During my earlier China years, I used to enjoy taking on-line courses related to China history and culture. Now I can no longer do that. It's not a matter of their being blocked, it's more a matter of the connection being so slowed down that streaming content is not feasible and downloads take a very long time (hours instead of minutes.)

When I visit Hong Kong or Taiwan, I'm always reminded of how the internet is supposed to function. And then it seems like such a treat. Same on my annual return-to-the-US trips.

I don't get upset about Mainland China's air quality or food safety or snarled traffic or human rights record or official corruption. I'm willing to turn a blind eye to those issues, but I cannot forgive China its slow and difficult and restricted internet.

The only good thing about it, I suppose, is that it has forced me to use native resources. I look things up on Baidu, I use Baidu maps, I read some Chinese on-line Sina forums and I buy things at on-line Chinese stores. That has probably helped my language skills improve. So if one must have a silver lining to all clouds, this is probably it.

Thank you Gods of Chinese Internet. I will kowtow and burn incense to you first thing tomorrow.

3 hours ago, abcdefg said:

When I visit Hong Kong or Taiwan, I'm always reminded of how the internet is supposed to function. And then it seems like such a treat. Same on my annual return-to-the-US trips.

Just be thankful you don't live in Australia.