Chinese-Forums

Is this true?

WildStriker

• New Members

I was told that after dinner (at a Chinese restaurant), the two youngest people at the table must say "thank you" to the person paying before the other older people can say "thank you" as well

Is this true?

I never heard that, even though I've had lots of meals in China. There is usually some "struggling" and "arguing" over who gets the privilege of picking up the check. Often subterfuge is involved, such as excusing oneself to go to the toilet and then paying the check along the way, out of sight of the others.

I was told that after dinner (at a Chinese restaurant), the two youngest people at the table must say "thank you" to the person paying before the other older people can say "thank you" as well

People can say thanks whenever they please, so far as I'm aware. I think what you heard is urban myth.

• Like 3

In the West you really really must thank the person who paid for the meal. I've never sensed such an absolute obligation in China. Not to say it's not the proper thing to do, just that you shouldn't be offended if you pay and your friends forget the thank-yous.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:38 PM, abcdefg said:

Often subterfuge is involved, such as excusing oneself to go to the toilet and then paying the check along the way, out of sight of the others.

This is something we do too. Not sure if it's just a Chinese thing. I don't think I have seen other Filipino families do something like this.