Chinese-Forums

The poetry of Ruan Ji and Xi Kang

Luxi

The latest volume of De Gruyter's Library of Chinese Humanities is just out,right on schedule.
Open Access this year too (bless them!), downloadable as pdf files (from the Table of Contents) and now also as a very handy epub book. 

The Poetry of Ruan Ji and Xi Kang

Translated by Stephen Owen et al.
https://www.degruyter.com/view/product/467830
These 2 poets are from the Wei (of Three Kingdoms fame) - Jin transition, the Introduction in this book looks very good.

• Like 4

Thanks, @Luxi. I'll take a look. You are quite the scholar! Seems like you are always making good discoveries. Inspires me to continue striving to read things in the original instead of relying on translations.

• Like 1

@abcdefg加油! Chinese poetry is so very beautiful in the original, worth the effort. These books are bilingual, anyway, it's good fun comparing the original Chinese with the translations. And then also compare different translations of the same poem.

If you missed the previous 2 years in this series, Du Fu and Hanshan, look for them in the site. IMO both much easier to read than these two.

I am almost counting the days for next January's Li He, my favourite poet in any language. 

1 hour ago, Luxi said:

If you missed the previous 2 years in this series, Du Fu and Hanshan, look for them in the site. IMO both much easier to read than these two.

I like DuFu and have read some in the original.

@abcdefg, I like Du Fu too, but find him quite difficult, one needs a lot of background information. Luckily there are good translations with notes to help. This one by Professor Owen is great for the notes and information, as well as being the only collection of Du Fu's complete works. Edit:in English.

I have to revive my 'good intentions project' of reading 1 poem per day (it never lasts very long), it's very easy to lose what little capacity one has built up without practice.