Chinese-Forums

I attempted to translate a song into Chinese...

ayseel

So I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this (or if any forum at all)...

My Chinese is very beginner level. I can't even read yet, only a handful of characters.

I'm also a songwriter and musician and I wrote a song in English, and attempted to translate it into Chinese myself using only my prior knowledge, an online dictionary, and the grammar wiki.

Keep in mind, I'm using a loose definition of "translate" here. Song translations often do not contain any of the same lyrics, nor are they even about the same subject. The main topic of the song is still the same, but none of the lines are except maybe a few in the chorus.

Also, I will add, the song is not exactly appropriate... and that does carry over into the attempted Chinese version. But I can cut the bad parts out. Also, I'll need to use pinyin to read the lines when I record it, since as I stated, I don't read it yet.

I'll also add that this isn't the first time I made a song in another language. As a native speaker of only English, I wrote a Spanish song, however I had way more experience in that language, it's generally considered an "easy" language, and my friend from Mexico proofread the whole thing and re-wrote anything that did not make sense.

What I was wondering is: Could I post the lyrics here, and be told if they actually make sense or not? It's way too long for the quick translation forum, and I won't ask for the mistakes corrected, but just a quick read through and briefly saying how incorrect it is and if I should continue with the project, or indefinitely cancel it and stick to English or whatever else. 

You can post it of course! But be forwarned: you've attempted something rather difficult (translation into something that is not your mother tongue), and since you've only just started studying Chinese, there are probably quite some mistakes in your translation. These will probably be pointed out to you, and you might be a bit discouraged when you see that.

Without having seen your song, I think that you should certainly not abandon your project, but that you might need to learn a lot more Chinese before you can complete it.

You're welcome to post it up, but this isn't usually a very good way to learn. A beginner, using online resources, trying to translate something complicated, will usually produce something that's so full of errors it's almost impossible to work with.

• Like 2