Chinese-Forums

Chinese Orchestra

Ian_Lee

In most big Chinese or predominantly Chinese cities, there is a Chinese Orchestra in addition to the Symphony/Philharmonic Orchestra. As far as I know, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Singapore have their own Chinese Orchestras.

And the size and variety of musical instruments in Chinese Orchestra are comparable to the Symphony Orchestra. A full performance may involve up to 60-70 musicians and the musical instruments usually include erhu, gaohu, zhonghu, gehu, bass gehu, banhu, jinghu, yangqin, liuqin, pipa, zhongruan, daruan, sanxian and guzheng.

During many performances, there are also combinations of western musical instruments, i.e. piano concerto and violin concerto.

DVD/VCD of the perforrmances of Chinese Orchestra are widely available.

I saw the HK orchestra when they visited Shanghai. They played really beautiful music, but I wasn't familiar with any of it. At the end of the concert, they even played some theme songs to popular TV dramas, which the audience seemed to ahve loved.