Chinese-Forums

New Chinese fiction books with 600 word vocabulary

jeffpepper

• New Members

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that there are two new fiction books available that are geared towards English-speaking people learning to read Chinese.  The books are "Rise of the Monkey King" and "Trouble in Heaven", both written by me (!) and translated by my friend Xiao Hui Wang.  Both are based on the Chinese classic novel Journey to the West.

I wrote the books because I could not find high quality fiction written for readers like me with a limited Chinese vocabulary.  I wanted the books to be effective learning tools, so we came up with an unusual format.  Each page of Chinese characters faces a page written in pinyin.  Whenever we use a word that is not included in the 600-word HSK 3 list, that word is defined in a footnote at the bottom of the page.  At the end of the book is a complete English version of the story, and a glossary.   And on our website www.imagin8press.com we have an audio recording of the book (in Chinese) as well as study questions for classroom use.

The books are available on Amazon.

I hope you find the books useful and fun to read!  Contact me via email (jeff@imagin8press.com) with questions or comments.  Thanks!  -jeff

• Like 2

I haven't touched a Chinese book in close to six months, but I was tempted to order your books. The thing which held me back is cost. Accounting for currency conversion and shipping fees puts the cost per book at around $33 AUS.

If you ever get the chance to sell them as an eBook I would definitely get them, as it would be significantly cheaper.

All the same, best of luck with it. It's nice to see more options appearing at this reading level.

• New Members

Hi John.  I just went to Amazon and checked the cost of shipping one copy of "Rise of the Monkey King" to an address in Sydney Australia.  It came up as $10.48 USD.  Total cost including the book is $20.43 USD, which converts to $26.63 AUS  A bit cheaper, but yes, still pricey!

We hope to have the Kindle version at some point.  I'll post to this forum when we do.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Good news, "Rise of the Monkey King" is now available in digital form!  Thanks to the nice people at Draft2Digital, the book is now available on several different eBook platforms, including Apple iTunes, 24Symbols, Scribd, Kobo, Inktera, Indigo and Mondadori.

You can find links to the eBook here: https://www.books2read.com/u/3Ro9wv

Jeff

• Like 1