How do you pronounce "h"?

i__forget

How do you pronounce "h"?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "h"?

• Like the English "h"
    • Like the Scotish "ch" in "loch", or the Spanish "j"
    • Both (either/or)

I recently noticed that some of the speakers in my audio samples pronounce "h" from deep inside their throat. This is how "j" is pronounced in Spanish and I think "ch" in Scotish from "loch". 
Is this supposed to be the standard in Mandarin? Is this the recommended pronunciation? Which pronunciation do you use?

Of course /x/ is the standard, the same sound as in Russian 'храм', Scottish 'loch', Spanish 'José', or German 'Bach'. But variations exist, because many people's mother tongues have only the /h/ sound, for example, Shanghainese 上海 /zɑ̃ hɛ/, Cantonese 香港 /hœːŋ kɔːŋ/.

• Like 2

I understand that IPA is the final word on the subject, but I don't pronounce it like that when it is in combination with some vowels, I don't use it when I say 好 but I do when I say 欢. So I am not sure if this is just me or is the same for others.

This is why I voted like the English H because for me I couldn't decide which way it was more often. So I chose one.

Why isn't there a poll option for "both" or "either/or"?

Definitely I don't think I pronounce 哈 with a [x] but I hear myself pronouncing 黑 with a [x] even in non citational speech. But I feel like Duanmu's comment about vowels is interesting cause I thought it was just the low value a that got to be special.

On 29/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, hoshinoumi said:

refering to IPA is always to me the clearest answer.

Phonetic is not phonologic (While phonetics is related to the sounds of speech, phonology is related to elements that are equivalent/different in a language). A very small amount of people are TV speakers (so for Mao Zedong...) are they wrong?

Sometime I look at https://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter : there's an option for IPA conversion, like 

你在一边做作业一边听音乐吗?

nǐ zài yìbiān zuò zuòyè yìbiān tīng yīnyuè ma

ni3 tsaɪ̯4 ji4pi̯ɛn1 tsu̯ɔ4 tsu̯ɔ4ji̯ɛ4 ji4pi̯ɛn1 tʰiŋ1 jin1ɥy̯œ4 5?

It is only a game: I think that "real" people can pronunce the phrase in a different way...

--- Edit 13/8/2017

I see that there's a book Glossika Mass Sentences (chinese Mandarin) that uses IPA very hardly (look at the picture)

glossikaMandarinChinese.jpg

Edited by furiop
Added an image of a book that uses IPA hardly
  • Like 1