Chinese-Forums

Fall 2017 semester - chinese non degree programs - looking for advice where?

mikel

• New Members

Hi all, 

I've been living and working in China for the last 4 years (3 years in Shenzhen, 1 in Shanghai), living the laowai-in-a-bubble-life for the most of it. I recently quit my job, got back to studying chinese on my own and took the HSK 3 exam (212). I'd love to give a big boost to my chinese at least 3-6 months while I´m looking for a new job, so I´m asking for recommendations of non degree chinese language programs (a bit late to enroll in most of them, but I believe there are some that will accept students at any time of the academic year). 

I´m looking for full immersion if possible (so 1st tier cities are a no go), I think I'd quickly fall into familiar social circles with expats if I´d live in BJ/GZ and let alone SH/SZ; would prefer tier 3 r below cities, main goal is to speak only chinese during this period. Budget is around 6000 RMB per month  (including tuition fees, accommodation and food). 

No big preferences for climate or local accent.  

Ideally the university would be affiliated to the confucius scholarship program so I could apply if I decided to stay longer. 

Any thoughts?

23 hours ago, igoeth said:

Consider Xi'an, Harbin, Tianjin, etc..?

You can't live in Xi'an with 6000 like OP said below:

On 22/08/2017 at 9:36 AM, mikel said:

Budget is around 6000 RMB per month  (including tuition fees, accommodation and food). 

perhaps 6000 only for tuition, but the food itself needs about 1500/month

• New Members

Thanks for all the replies! Helps to open up the vision a lot!

My main concern is to find a university that will accept me this late for fall semester 2017 (contacted few but they seem on holidays until summer break ends), and somehow to be able to break the expat bubble and socialize with locals ( i know this can be done anywhere in China, but it is easier if you´re forced to it because of lack of any other options). 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, mikel said:

@hoshinoumi Budget is around 6000 RMB per month  (including tuition fees, accommodation and food). 

perhaps 6000 only for tuition, but the food itself needs about 1500/month

The idea is to enroll a program around 6-7000 RMB for tuition per semester. So, monthly expenses would be 2000 tuition + 1500 accommodation + 1500 food + 1000 others/emergencies, total on average 6000RMB/month. 

@KherithWuhan. Big city but still completely chinese, my life cant be more chinese

How is the pollution there? I heard terrible stories, would love to know from a current resident. 

@JabriHow about Qingdao ? It has a beautiful scenery, blue sky, and fresh air. 

Any recommendations about uni, chinese programs, average living cost, general life advice? Do you think it would fit my budget? Seems a great option, cheers!

@hoshinoumi good point. I lived in Lanzhou for two years, and it is pretty cheap to live and it feels like a tier 3 city, so I can throw that one out there. The only real option is Lanzhou University. 1500 is enough for food there as well. I think tuition is moderately cheap.

I´m going to discard that one, not a big fan of 兰州老面 so would find it hard with the food there (same reason to also opt out Sichuan or Hunan cities, I can't bear spicy food).

I´m also considering Guilin or Hainan because of the milder winter, any thoughts?