Chinese-Forums

Help translate markings on bottom of vase

AlexMM

• New Members

Hello,

I have searhed all of the web for these charactors and cannot find them.  Can anyone tell me what it says?  I think one of the symbols stands for Zhi.  I am sorry, I do not know what direction to display the writting.  

This was my grandmothers vase.  Not sure it has value, but is does to me.  She traveled to China often, but may have purchased in USA...not sure.  Thank you for any info you can provide.   

FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg

• New Members

Sorry for earlier typos.  

Hello,

I have searched all over the web for these characters and cannot find them.  Can anyone tell me what it says?  I think one of the symbols stands for Zhi.  I am sorry, I do not know what direction to display the writing.  

This was my grandmother’s vase.  Not sure it has value, but is does to me.  She traveled to China often, but may have purchased in USA...not sure.  Thank you for any info you can provide.   

• New Members

Thank you, Publius!  I appreciate you taking time to look at it and respond.  I know the markings on the vase are handwritten, but they do not look like the characters you have written in the beginning of your email.  Are they the same?  Does each mark represent something different such as the Emperor, factory, date?  Thank you for any additional information.

The characters look different because you have the mark upside down.

Marks are read NE-SE-NW-SW. So this is Yong-Zheng-Year-Made, read by character. And yes, characters in print can look quite different from characters in calligraphy.

(A true piece from the Imperial kilns would never have such casual brushwork.)