Chinese-Forums

Learning IT skills in Guangzhou?

Wicker West

I just moved to Guangzhou for a whole year. I will spend this time learning Chinese at a university. However, I would still like to develop other skills during my stay here. So I was wondering, whether there is a possibility to sign up for some kind of course of coding, and/or audio/video editing? I have more time now to pursue these interests, however those courses would have to be in English, as I fear my Mandarin isn't good enough (HSK5) to understand technical and IT related lingo. But maybe there is some kind of expat learning community, or a school for foreigners?

If not, maybe I someone can recommend to me a Chinese site for people looking for teachers/students? Even if I won't find anyone who would help me with these IT skills, at least I can hire someone to practice Chinese with.

Well, if you just want to learn IT skills, there are lots of free MOOCs in English on EdX, Coursera, and Udacity. There are some really high quality ones actually, if you apply yourself you'll learn a lot. MOOCs are 100% about you putting in the effort and time. The materials are usually quite high quality, at least for the courses I've participated in. I'd argue some are more high quality that what you would get if you paid for a course at a physical school.

If you are looking to learn IT in Chinese, if you do find anything online, I'd love to hear about it as I am trying to learn Chinese vocabulary for IT terminology (I work in InfoSec outside of China).