Chinese-Forums

Foreigner Social Levels?

Harvey

Hey guys,

In Japan there is a very distinct understanding of social groups among foreigners.

To run thru it from my quick early morning hang-over viewpoint....

- Travellelers

- Exchange Students

- 1-2year English teachers at big schools

- Japanese speaking English teachers at private schools

- Non-Japanese speaking Corproate Expats

- Japanese speaking corporate expats

- Asian foreigners in Japan for the long term

- American Millitary!

Hrm. Maybe that about covers it... But there is some kinda strange tension among these groups when they meet in clubs and whatnot.

Generally speaking, the other groups tend to look down on English teachers, espeically those who cannot speak Japanese and who are teaching in the big chain English schools.

Often foreigners who have not been in Japan for a long time will say hi and strike up conversations when they see another friendly foreigner face, but the long term Japanese speaking types are less likely to do this.

Also, in the corporate type world, those who can speak Japanese and have dug themselves into Japanese society, tend to shy away from the corporate types who cannot speak Japanese nor try to.

I dunno, there are all sorts of other little stereotypes and prejudgements that go around... It's quite complex actually for such a small community!

I was wondering what the vibe was like in mainland China! If you know what I mean.

Generally speaking, the other groups tend to look down on English teachers, espeically those who cannot speak Japanese and who are teaching in the big chain English schools.

Well... it's actually quite understandable.. haha.

Yeah, I'd guess it's about right - although I've yet to see an obvious US military presence . .

The only one I know about is pretty small - it's the Marine companies at the Beijing Embassy (and I'd assume the corresponding ones at the Consulates in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chengdu).

Taiwan seems to break down in pretty much the same way.

Non-Chinese speaking English teachers are definitely looked down upon by other western foreigners, but then again there is probably more of them than every other category combined.