Chinese-Forums

Registering at the police station

Monikakikakika

Hello guys,

I really need your help. I am travelling to Shanghai in one week and I have a question towards the police registration procedure. Since my boyfriend is studying there and lives in a dorm, I wanted to be accommodated by him. My question is, is it possible to register at the police station although he is a foreign student in Shanghai? He has a residence permit and a contract with the dorm. The thing is that in that dorm it is officially said that students cannot host visitors. However, until now, nobody had any problems. What would you recommend me? Is it possible to register only with his visa/residence permit/ dorm contract?

Thank you in advance :D

I am not sure but probably the fact that nobody had any trouble before might mean that no short term guest bothered to register at the police station?
If staying 1 or 2 nights maybe skip the registration. If staying longer maybe try to find a cheap hostel nearby and let them handle registration, even if you end up spending most nights at the dorm.
if you decide to attempt registration with the dorm as place of residence, it might backfire, so I would scout out a hostel as a backup solution.

ya the police station will probably end up trying to call up the responsible party... i.e. your boyfriend's landlord, in order to confirm your situation. that won't go well so just create a cheap hostel booking as mentioned above. 

also make sure that it's a hostel that accepts foreign guests ( a good sign is that the website has an english section) otherwise they'll just be confirming the fact that you aren't able to use that reservation.