Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
ABRW

Using a clock to indicate direction

ABRW

What is a good way to indicate an object's position as related to a ship using a clock to indicate direction?

I don't know any characters. The answer in pinyin would be very helpful.

For example: There are three whale at 2 o'clock.

You san tiao jingyu zai liang dian zhong you fang xiang.  Is that correct?

• Good question! 2

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

roddy

That's a very interesting question, I have no idea if Chinese does this. Although even in English it's perhaps only familiar in aviation and nautical language? If anyone's unclear, it's this

In English I sometimes use it to describe location, say, of a particular part of an inscription or design on the face of an object. Can't say I recall ever hearing it used in Chinese, though.

roddy

Here's something in Chinese. Although what is going on with that image?

Shelley

I always heard it in films about fighter pilots, bandits at 3 o'clock and similar.

I think when you have more than 2 dimensions as in the air, it might make more sense.

Dandy Jiang

There are three whale at 2 o'clock.

liǎng diǎn zhōng fāng xiàng yǒu sān tiáo jīng yú。 OR   yǒu sān tiáo jīng yú zà iliǎng diǎn zhōng fāng xiàng 。

I've heard it from Chinese movies, usually said by soldiers or policemen. 

In Chinese, at × o'clock is “zài × diǎn zhōng fāng xiàng”。

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

ABRW

Thanks for the answers.  I work as a guide on ships and very often we have Chinese guests.  The easiest and most accurate way of telling everyone where wildlife is is to say something like, "there are whales at two o'clock"

It will be a very useful phrase.

thanks again.

• Like 1