Chinese-Forums

Please give me Chinese music suggestions

fenlan

I have 7 Chinese songs in my Windows Media playlist, mostly redolent of my time in China. I think most of these were popular in the early 1990s and they are mainly "foreign student songs". What I mean by that is that they were popular among foreign students for being relatively easy to understand. They are:

1. 明明白白我的心

2. 哭砂 (by Ye Qianwen)

3. 东方之珠

4. 你知道我在等你吗?(Zhang Hongliang?)

5. 让我欢喜让我忧

6. 夜未央 (by Tan Yonglin)

7. A recent addition: 就像老鼠爱大米

Can anyone recommend more easy listening type songs from China?

• 4 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fenlen is talking about songs where the singer is singing clearly. These songs are easy to understand because the words are pronounced clearly (and sometimes slow). This makes it "easy to listen" to. It is just a coincidence that most songs that are easy to understand tend to be slow or soft sounding songs.

Youshen

《歌》 by 罗大佑 (who did 《东方之珠》) probably meets your requirements. And the lyrics are a poem translation by 徐志摩, so it's nice and high-culture...罗大佑 also has 《童年》 which is more of a sing-along that everyone knows.

Most of the songs sung by 童安格 are easy-to-understand ballads. 《明天你是否依然爱我》 and 《其实你不懂我的心》 are most representative.

(and if you're going for 苏慧伦, don't miss 《OK?OK!》, especially if you can get ahold of the video. The comical attempts of Richie Jen to rap makes it not really "foreign student" material, though.)