Chinese-Forums

Taobao real person verification problem (实人认证)

萨米

I've tried to tackle this problem on my own for a week now, but I can't seem to be able, so I thought I'd ask you guys. So the problem is this: I try to buy some stuff and Taobao throws a warning on the screen and never lets me buy the item:

亲,您还未完成[实人认证],1分钟完成认证后即可转账哦~

(Dear user, you have not yet completed [real person certification], 1 minute after the completion of the certification you can transfer money)

I've tried to follow Taobao's and Alipay's official guides, but they don't seem to be up to date. And Alipay says that I am verified already. On Taobao's mobile version and the web version I can't find these verification places.

I contacted some sellers also about this but their response was only that I need to verify. That doesn't really help... Yet still I've managed to buy many items from some other sellers, especially those who sell new stuff. This verification problem only occurs when I try to buy from sellers who are one person.

So if anyone knows how to deal with this, I'd be very thankful.

There's no transparency with these online payment systems. And no help whatever when you come across a problem like this. So I can only guess.

I think the key is that you have trouble paying individuals but not larger businesses. There are different levels of restrictions on Alipay accounts, and I believe payments to individuals require a higher level of verification.

What is the source of funds in your Alipay account? If it's not your own Mainland bank account that you've linked to the Alipay account, then you may have trouble paying individuals. And if you're transferring a lot of money through your Alipay account, linking one bank account may not be enough: you may have to link two accounts, with different banks.

Again, this is only a guess.

Okay, thanks for the educated guess, 889. I have a 中国光大 (China Everbright) bank account linked to Alipay and thus to Taobao.

I've tried contacting Taobao's help, but the answers are all automatic and provide no new information. The situation is driving me crazy since now that I'm in China for a while I really want to buy stuff that I can't buy from elsewhere.

If we're talking about the same thing, Taobao (and Alipay) need to check your passport apart from your bank account. I don't remember the exact process, but I remember uploading a picture of my passport and some minutes later, problem solved, I could buy with a chinese bank account.

For Alipay I was able to do that (so on Alipay I'm verified and it also reads in there), but on Taobao I haven't found the right place, it seems. I've checked all the places, but haven't found any option that has 认证 in it.