Chinese-Forums

Opinions on Zhen Bang

xingmi

• New Members

I currently take a Chinese 1 class at my high school and currently, my teacher is really terrible at her job so I am beginning to think i need to begin self studying in order to do well in Chinese. SHould I use this textbook (along with the accompanying workbook and character practice book) or should I seek a different textbook to use on my own time?

I currently take a Chinese 1 class at my high school and currently, my teacher is really terrible at her job so I am beginning to think i need to begin self studying in order to do well in Chinese. SHould I use this textbook (along with the accompanying workbook and character practice book) or should I seek a different textbook to use on my own time?

As a newbie in chinese mandarin I can only ask what book you are referring to.  Are you doing traditional characters or simplified? 

What level are you Novice, Intermediate Advance?

I tried to check on this book but the information I got did not specify if it is traditional or simplified.  It is obviously novice level . I can't make a comment on a series of books that I have not read.

As a newbie myself I realise that there are a lot of books out there for the Novice level to intermediate.  It is sometimes confusing to determine which books are really good.  I can only say if you have a course of study and it is the recommended book then you must use it.  There is a reason why it is recommended.  You can look at other books as supplemental reading.

For my part if I was studying simplified characters alone I would look at the following supplemental books as additional reading to your main text:

1. Modern Chinese 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B.  It is quite good and is used in some colleges outside of PRC.  It also has reference to the traditional characters, so you have the benefit from both worlds.

2. Contemporary Chinese Book 1-4.

I hope you find the right information about the main text in this thread.

ce feu cuira les côtelettes

To edelweis,

This is a forum for Chinese language.  All comments and criticisms should be in chinese whether cantonese, mandarin , wu, fukanese etc.  Your reference above in an euro-centric langauge may not be appropriate in this forum.  

13 minutes ago, gwr71 said:

To edelweis,

This is a forum for Chinese language.  All comments and criticisms should be in chinese whether cantonese, mandarin , wu, fukanese etc.  Your reference above in an euro-centric langauge may not be appropriate in this forum

I think that if this had been considered a problem one of the admin would have said something. I don't think its up to us to decide, if you are not happy with it, report it to admin and see what they say.

Just for the record it doesn't bother me.

In answer to the OPs question, I have not used this text book, it does seem aimed at American students so this may explain why its not so well known in other places.

There is a companion web page to go with the books are you aware of it? http://irc.emcp.com/ircfiles/ZhenBang/

I suggest that you carry on with this book as I am guessing the exam will be based on it if there is one.

If it was me I would just do lots of homework/self study, go to class if for no other reason listening and speaking practice with other students. Maybe find out if any other students feel the same and have an after school get together and learn with each other.

If you put in the work you should do well in the exam in spite of the terrible teacher. On the subject of the terrible teacher why do you think they are terrible? And if they are that bad why not report it to someone.

What ever happens I hope you succeed. Let us know what happens and remember if you have any questions about chinese don't hesitate to ask, start a new topic and give us your take on the answer and some context, folk here are usually very helpful:P

• Helpful 1

Ah well, sorry, English is not my first language. When you wrote:

17 hours ago, gwr71 said:

I can only ask what book you are referring to

I thought you were asking about the title of the book :mrgreen: my bad.

To compound my shame I must admit that I made all kinds of assumptions from the original post such as:

- this is probably a North American person (high school)

- this is probably a beginner (Chinese 1)

- this person is therefore using this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Zhen-Bang-Margaret-M-Wong/dp/0821946471

for which a syllabus can be found here:

http://www2.spokaneschools.org/onlinelearning/documents/syllabi/482_6020_01_2014_Chinese IA Syllabus(1).pdf

Now I realize it is entirely possible that the OP is a native mandarin speaker in a Singapore secondary school studying advanced mandarin with a similarly title book :oops: I guess I shouldn't make so many assumptions.

53 minutes ago, gwr71 said:

All comments and criticisms should be in chinese

That was my signature. You can optionally hide it by hovering your mouse on it then clicking the little cross.

你也可以用中文来批评我的英文。我会非常感谢。

• Like 1