Chinese-Forums

Tones in a whole sentence

Andrew78

Hi there,

do you think it's normal or, at least, did it happen to you at the beginning of your learning process, that when you pronounce one or two words alone the tones are fine, but when you have to say a whole sentence they all become messed up? this is what's happening to me now: when my teacher ask me to repeat one or two words, tones are fine, but even in a simple sentence, I'm not able to keep them.

Normal, yes, but that doesn't mean you should just let it be.  Instead you should focus on improving just that skill.

Record yourself saying a longer sentence.  Play it back.  Note where the problems are.  Record it again making a conscious effort not to make the same mistakes.  Play it back.  Note where the problems are.  Repeat until you have no more problems and then move on to a new sentence.  Then move on to longer sentences.

I think it happens because you trying to do 2 things at once as it were, remembering the sentence your teacher has asked you to repeat and getting the tones right. See how well you do when you read out loud from a text, when you only have to think about the tones.

As imron says practice is the way forward.

• Like 1