Chinese-Forums

PAVC New 2017 Edition?

waychanger

• New Members

Hi all - 

Occasional lurker, first-time poster here - seems like this might be the place to ask this - 
I was browsing the Chinese language instruction textbooks at a bookstore in Taipei the other day and came across a new, 3rd edition series of PAVC (published in 2017).  This was surprising and puzzling for me.  I had been under the impression that the Course in Contemporary Chinese series had essentially supplanted PAVC (the 2nd edition of PAVC having come out more than a decade ago), and that the latter was essentially obsolete.  Yet it seems that a new edition of these books has appeared, with little fanfare or discussion.  Even more puzzling, I understand that the 1st and 2nd editions of PAVC, as well as the CCC series, are put out by NTNU's MTC; however, the new 3rd edition of PAVC no longer seems to have the NTNU affiliation. 

Anyone have any experience with the newest PAVC books?  Where are these even being used, since MTC is using CCC now?  I'm curious about the politics behind these dueling instructional series...

Here's a link to a look at Book 5, btw: http://www.books.com.tw/products/0010764554

I am amazed.  I thank you for the info.  I want to ask you as you are more versed in chinese mandarin than I do you know if the MTC released CCC Books 5 and 6 yet?

I am amazed.  I thank you for the info.  I want to ask you as you are more versed in chinese mandarin than I do you know if the MTC released CCC Books 5 and 6 yet?

I try to follow the MTC 9 levels from home and like you I am aware that PAVC books 1-4 are not on the official MTC list for 2017-2018 but CCC 1-6 and PAVC 5.  So i am completely surprised by the post you made that there is a 3rd edition of PAVC.   Did you had a chance to actually read any of the 3rd edition?  

• New Members

I do not believe the CCC books 5-6 have been released to the public yet; other posts here have mentioned that draft versions are in use for MTC classes.  I've kept an eye out but have not seen them available either online or in bookstores. 

As for PAVC I just read through the introduction to Book 5; the 3rd edition is indeed a full and complete revision over the 2nd edition.

As it happens, at the bookstore, CCC books 1-4 were arranged right next to PAVC book 5, so perhaps that is the intended progression, for now. 

• 6 years later...

Necroing a thread but....

Do any schools in Taiwan still use PAVC? I know most have either switched over to a Contemporary Course in Chinese or "Modern Chinese" (which seems to have replaced the Far East series). That said, I have both versions of PAV5 (2nd and 3rd editions at least), I can say if you are self-studying, get the 2nd edition. The newer version has less lessons, which have been completely rewritten to be shorter and easier. I got it free from a friend who left Taiwan and was shocked to find out they had completely changed it.