Chinese-Forums

Good HSK level as intermediate goal?

Maria Wolters

I am studying Chinese because I want to be able to communicate better with my students (many of whom are Chinese) and colleagues from Chinese universities. Also, I like linguistics and I'm game for a challenge. 

I'd like to use a suitable HSK test as a mid-term goal for my studies - not because I think it's a good measure of actual proficiency, more because it would be nice to have a milestone and a certificate. I'm currently thinking about the HSK4, because HSK 5 + 6 seem like a substantial step up from 4. 

What do you think? 

(Most of my contacts etc are in / from Mainland China, and I'm studying Simplified Characters) 

It all depends on when you intend to take the exam and your study schedule.

If you're self-studying in your spare time, or in a once a week class, you could aim for HSK3 after 1 or 2 years of study, HSK4 after 2 to 4 years of study.

If you're studying full time, probably HSK4 after 1 year, or maybe even HSK5.

• Like 2

HSK 4 after one year is definitely doable, or possibly level 2/3 with less than full time study, 

Try your best to get some speaking partners so you have good quality practice. Also you'll feel great conversing in Chinese! Good Luck!

HSK4 after definietly one year is doable. To be honest I never heard of anyone outside forums passing HSK 5 from scratch in one year and those that do actually didn't actually start from "scratch". 

Personally,  I think HSK is a good path but after 4 IMHO you need to veer off and start learning real Chinese. I am HSK 5  and yet >50% of my ANKI deck and non HSK words I have picked up  from wechat, websites, general conversation over the years. 

I think these non HSK words are easier to learn as you have real context. What non HSK words tyou wish to learn depends on whether you live in the country or not. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks everyone! Following the edelweis algorithm, HSK 3 sounds like a good intermediate goal, given that I study 30 minutes a day on the bus with some more time during the weekends, if work and family allow. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 1:49 AM, Maria Wolters said:

I am studying Chinese because I want to be able to communicate better with my students

Since you mention communication as a primary goal, you could also consider taking the HSKK exam that primarily tests oral proficiency.  You could try to shoot for HSKK Intermediate.  You can take a look at a sample here.

• Like 1