Chinese-Forums

Average expense in Beijing

Dee

Hi,

I'll be studying in Beijing for a year beginning this Fall. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a list of expenses for studying in Peking University. I actually need these figures in order to get some funding for my trip. I have looked on the site and haven't found much. I need to know how much food, books & supplies, room & board, and any other miscellaneous expenses will likely cost me. I was trying to look on the site because I need something "official" in order to back up the figures that I give my school to receive money for my trip. I've attempted to contact PKU but they don't seem to reply. If anyone knows where to find this it would be a great help.

On another note I have someone offering me two different apartments to me in Beijing. One is 15 mins away from school and another 30 mins away. I was wondering if anyone knows which building or gate beginner's chinese classes were generally held in so I can make a better decision on which apartment to take. If anyone knows please let me know.

THANKS!

Perhaps you could use estimated costs from CIEE's programs at PKU if you can't find anything direct from the school.

http://www.ciee.org/program_search/program_detail.aspx?program_id=48&page=5&sec=1&pid=911

I think their estimates are bit high but then again that can't hurt when you are getting funding.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a general breakdown for food:

5RMB for oncampus cafeteria food

10RMB a meal outside at a typical xiaochi place for dumplings or fried rice or sharing some dishes with friends and splitting the cost

20RMB for a western styled fast food meal, such as McDonalds or KFC

30RMB for western styled restaurant food, such as pasta or Japanese curry

70RMB for all-you-can eat buffets, such as pizza or Japanese food

As for the apartment, I'd be willing to bet both are out of the east gate in the same direction. There is little in terms of affordable housing out any of the other gates (the west gate leads directly to the Summer Palace). If you can give me the names of the complexes I can probably even describe the buildings to you (I've been to quite a few apartments).