Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
abcdefg

A minor Kunming park 昙花寺公园

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Shelley

I am going a delicate shade of envious green:mrgreen:

This is the sort of place I would spend a lot of time, relaxing, reading, listening to the birds and the general hubbub of people and life. A place to sit and embroider or crotchet, practise writing or just contemplate my navel.:P

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

abcdefg

You're welcome, @Shelley -- I do see people knitting and doing needlepoint there. The park is an oasis of calm.

anonymoose

I've never spent enough time in Kunming to feel that I've seen all there is to see. On the contrary, I'd like to spend more time there, but alas, like most other people, use it mainly as a connecting point to more remote places in Yunnan.

• Like 1

abcdefg

@anonymoose -- Hope some day you'll have the opportunity to linger a while. The longer I live here, the more interesting spots I discover.

DavyJonesLocker

Ah this brings back memories. I am fairly certain I have been to 昙花寺公园  a way back in 2007. At that time china was a bit of a mystery to me so maybe I need to dig out the old photos to check for sure. I have only been to Kunming twice and really had a nice feel to it. 

Actually before I came to China, Kunming was my first choice but alas, for one reason or another I ended up in Beijing. Its not a city I am overly fond but as with many people,  work opportunities are often confined to big cities.

HuayangAcademy

Thanks for the great tip, 

Have you been to the Taoist temple out on Tudong road, 

Great place

abcdefg
3 hours ago, HuayangAcademy said:

Have you been to the Taoist temple out on Tudong road, 

Great place

I'm not sure. Could you tell me where it is? For example, what part of Tuodong Road 拓东路, near what cross street?

HuayangAcademy

It's the cross roads of Tuodong and Beijing roads. 

I've also recently heard about the Ma Family Courtyard in central Kunming, 

Seems like another place people don't know about it. 

Can't even find it on Google etc. 

From what I've heard it's a beautiful old building with interesting architecture and they have minority dance, singing and tea ceremony etc. 

Hopefully visiting Wednesday so can report back!

• Like 1

abcdefg
1 hour ago, HuayangAcademy said:

It's the cross roads of Tuodong and Beijing roads. 

Not familiar with it. Look forward to hearing your report. I do know of a nice historical tower 塔 at the corner of Tuodong Road and Baita Road, across from 斜对面 from the 绿洲宾馆 GreenLand Hotel. Pretty sure it's where 白塔路 got its name.

Don't know anything about the Ma Family Courtyard, however. Would be interested in your impressions.

Welcome to the Kunming Explorer's Club!

HuayangAcademy

We visited this park recently. 

It is a great place and there is also BBQs you can rent and enjoy a BBQ in the park with friends and bring your own food

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1