Chinese-Forums

PLECO 4.0 (conversation about the not-yet-released update)

艾墨本

1 minute ago, mikelove said:

So to confirm, you can successfully open a document, scroll to a page, bookmark, it, put Pleco in the background, terminate, reopen, and jump to that bookmark?

Yes, that's correct.

OK, we were able to reproduce a version of this with EPUBs and extrapolated the same idea to text files so while we can't promise it'll fix your exact problem we do at least have an attempt at it coming in 3.2.76 now ? (and if it doesn't let me know and we can try again)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, will report back afterwards.

This Christmas I'll ask Santa for Pleco's professional bundle because that's an amazing display of customer service and you totally deserve the love. ?

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, xinoxanu said:

This Christmas I'll ask Santa for Pleco's professional bundle because that's an amazing display of customer service and you totally deserve the love. ?

And you deserve the bundle!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@mikelove Lately I've been using Pleco's OCR functionality to aid my manga reading.

It works great for the most part, but when it comes to whole words I was wondering if the OCR is actually built to understand vertical text (as it's common for manga)?

I am confused because sometimes it does recognise not only vertical words but even vertical 成语 (and long ones at that!); while at other times it parses text as if its orientation was horizontal (I can tell because if I use Pleco's [|-->] button the word selector moves to the right). It's also worth nothing that the latter happens even if the character on the right can't be used to form a word.

Regardless, maybe this could be solved by adding a toggle in the OCR settings to force vertical-only recognition?

53 minutes ago, mikelove said:

Actually we already support that - tap on the 'photo' icon and you'll see a horizontal/vertical toggle, tap on that and it should lock to that orientation from that point on.

Oops, I should have specified I am talking about Digital manga, so I guess you mean the photo icon on the Live OCR mode, right?

Screenshot_2021-01-18-00-06-17-707.thumb.jpeg.6b57384350924df098f8dc142e31b982.jpeg

My question is regarding the Screen Reader/Do Screen OCR mode, since that's the functionality I use to read on my tablet. 

Is it implemented there as well? I can't seem to find the option

Haha sorry, but I don't believe there's a support thread for Pleco (which might be a good idea to create), and I thought this could be treated as well as a new feature for Pleco 4.0 (if it isn't already ?)

16 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

My question is regarding the Screen Reader/Do Screen OCR mode, since that's the functionality I use to read on my tablet. 

Yes - go into Settings / External Access and turn on "Show invert/orient in Screen OCR" to add those buttons. (we hide them by default because they're only needed in a relatively small % of use cases and people tend to get very touchy about that interface being too intrusive / complicated)

10 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

You got me excited posting in this thread. I thought there was an update for Pleco 4.0...

Yeah, sorry about that. Here are a couple of screenshots of our previously-only-alluded-to new component search feature:

902432758_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_18_52.thumb.png.080435ee5c3af47aa1c2351ea5d0f135.png894906791_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_18_56.thumb.png.75721122a88cbd8e830ea88add1553aa.png690260137_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_19_01.thumb.png.fd13959b64e67e751ceeae1ddce388e7.png1529726865_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_20_28.thumb.png.e5e3ded915ba83d74840554630d14584.png1425941837_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_20_35.thumb.png.3bc25b29c9a6771a9b2f0c1f9fbbd57e.png1846746398_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_20_42.thumb.png.a4703a507b5ecce0dbc610b899355212.png780152372_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhone12Pro-2021-01-18at10_20_48.thumb.png.944d911f304b2bd9e8a67204adeb306d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mikelove said:
16 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

Yes - go into Settings / External Access and turn on "Show invert/orient in Screen OCR" to add those buttons. (we hide them by default because they're only needed in a relatively small % of use cases and people tend to get very touchy about that interface being too intrusive / complicated)

Wow, thanks! 

Since we are at it, I'd like to put a request for that button to be added to the floating button once this option is toggled. The current placement in the corner is a little bit hard to reach and it also overlaps with the square selector.

Anyway, thanks mike ?

PS: I don't know how many Chinese learners read manga in Chinese, but you could definitely market Pleco as a manga reading assist-tool and even launch a separate app in the store for noticeability. Not to mention that a Japanese Pleco app would be amazing!!! Just some thoughts, since most of the work is already there :) 

7 minutes ago, roddy said:
17 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

Bluetooth monkey!

Totally!

This is also super weird because I checked every corner of the app for these setting and somehow this option was totally invisible until Mike pointed it out!

Mike, are you remotely controlling my Pleco to fool with your users... or are my eyes getting old? ?