Chinese-Forums

Beijing LGBT Centre (北京同志中心) Publishes China’s 1st National Survey of Transgender Population

陳德聰

Like LGBTQ+, LGBTQIA, etc.? The Beijing LGBT Centre's Chinese name uses the word 同志, which I had previously thought only referred to gay men, but seems to be similar to "queer" in its use by some people as an all-encompassing term. However, I think that realising the so-called "community" is not a singular entity also means different people in different places will use different acronyms.

Thanks for the vocab! I like how Chinese is much more understandable in some cases (順性別 makes so much sense). What's with the 'preferred pronouns' though? I'd think that's not nearly as big an issue in Chinese. 先生/小姐, sure, but when it comes to pronouns everyone is nǐ and tā anyway.

I wonder if that little film was really all 'this is a western concept'? I saw it more as 'the US do it so it's great' kind of attitude. But it's hard to really tell that apart. I really liked that they have ready examples of famous trans Chinese people, people everyone who watches tv will know. One 金星 might help more than a hundred Youtube videos.

And I was pleasantly surprised (but not really surprised) that the Dutch embassy sponsored the whole thing :-)

• Like 1

@Lu

I think it certainly felt like I was watching a translation from English to Chinese. But I suspect this is because the conversation has not been a very public one in China and so has not had much time to evolve to fit the actual practical realities of people’s day to day lives.

I think it was good to hear “preferred pronouns or nouns” as there are so many times when people feel the need to use 先生/女士 out of politeness and times when people gender others relentlessly with things like 男的/女的 qualifiers, as if 律師 or 醫生 is not enough of a descriptor.

23 minutes ago, 陳德聰 said:

and times when people gender others relentlessly with things like 男的/女的 qualifiers, as if 律師 or 醫生 is not enough of a descriptor.

God I hate those. Managed to convince a scholar writing an article recently that if he wrote (女) for all the women, he should also write (男) for all the men. He changed it and gendered everyone mentioned, not just the women (no non-binary etc people were involved). I was very pleased with this.

Chinese could be such a gender-neutral language, with so many genderless titles to choose from (老師,主任,X長,導演,醫生,師傅,等等等) and no distiction between tā and tā, and instead they push in the gender at all cost.

Anyway. I'll stop ranting now. The vocab is good.

• Like 1