Chinese-Forums

Request help what does it mean?

veselin_k_g

I watched the whole video, but I didn't see any shot where the ticket/sheet of paper was clear enough to tell what it might say. There is a shot of the guy printing it, in which I saw that it's most likely Chinese (makes sense with a video set in Hong Kong), but I have no idea what it says.

3 hours ago, Shelley said:

Apparently  行者 , can also mean itinerant monk, interesting

Actually that‘s the usual meaning of 行者. For pedestrian, walker, we use 行人.

行者 is a Buddhist term in which 行 means 修行 'to practice'.

In Journey to the West, Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, is called 孫行者 by his peers. There is an episode where he was captured by an enemy using a magical gourd. The gourd had such property that if its owner calls your name and you respond, you will be instantly sucked into it and die within hours. Sun managed to escape and went back to challenge the enemy again, pretending to be 者行孫, the brother of himself. When the enemy called him by his made-up name 者行孫, he responded and was sucked into the gourd again.

Unrelated but also weirdly interesting is the Whisky brand Johnnie Walker. I don't know who came up with this translation, but it's known in Chinese as 約翰走路.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1