Chinese-Forums

Beginning to learn Chinese

bhull3

I am just beginning to learn Chinese. I have visited some sites on the web and have learned a few words and phrases. I own a handful of movies in Mandarin (English sub-titles of course) and try to pick up some of the nuances of the language as I watch them. As I have a family and a full-time job, it will probably be awhile before I am able to take any classes. I know everyone learns in different ways via different methods, but does anyone know if there is a method - (books, cd, online, etc...) that is more beneficial than others for someone who will be self-taught for awhile?

I am just beginning to learn Chinese. I have visited some sites on the web and have learned a few words and phrases. I own a handful of movies in Mandarin (English sub-titles of course) and try to pick up some of the nuances of the language as I watch them. As I have a family and a full-time job, it will probably be awhile before I am able to take any classes. I know everyone learns in different ways via different methods, but does anyone know if there is a method - (books, cd, online, etc...) that is more beneficial than others for someone who will be self-taught for awhile?

Hi there... I have been learning Chinese for just about a year... I too have some pretty serious time constraints (which have eased slightly now my son is in full time school)... I found that the teach yourself series was pretty good... the pimsleur series is good too... I also did a part time Mandarin course every saturday morning... but using a combination of books, cd, online and class works well... the best advice I could give is study every day... even if its for only 15-20mins... that helps the most...

• 2 weeks later...