Chinese-Forums

Is there a name (without surname) that would mean good fortune?

Earthling

If you don't want to be lucky, happy etc is Good luck any better?

I am not sure this would be good for a name, it sounds like something you wish someone. Not something you are expecting for your self.

Fufen 福分 is colloquial for good luck or good fortune.

Not sure how this would work out for a name but to my inexperienced ear it sounds nice.

I am sure someone will come along and clarify its use as a name.

Do you already know what surname you will be using? It definitely can be helpful for making sure the given name still sounds good in contexts where your full name would be used... which is often.

Use characters like 運,福,財 depending on what kind of good fortune you’re hoping for.

• Helpful 1

First, as we've said here many times, it's best not to D-I-Y when picking a Chinese name. You need someone who knows you and your personality and who has a good ear and something of a literary mindset. Not all native speakers are up to it.

Second, it's pretty easy to do a name check on Google. If your full name, with family name, gets a number of hits, that's a reasonable sign it's in the ball park. No hits suggests you might be way out in left field with the name.

2 minutes ago, 889 said:

Second, it's pretty easy to do a name check on Google. If your full name, with family name, gets a number of hits, that's a reasonable sign it's in the ball park.

Note that not all Chinese parents have great name-picking skills either. If your name doesn't show up, that's a sign it's probably not a great choice, but if it does show up, you should still ask at least one native speaker whether it's a good idea.

You can make a name with 福 or 运 or something like that in it, but I think it's easy to end up with something 土 if you use such characters. If @skylee is around, perhaps she has a nice literary idea.

啤酒王. I think it was someone on Forumosa, a foreigner. He was actually happy with his name.

杨伟, sounds like a very normal Chinese name but also sounds like 阳痿.

施逸正, a Taiwanese guy (son of the neighbour of a friend, or some such connection). Would be a very nice name, except it sounds like 失忆症.

But there is a difference between really bad names and 土 names. 土 names are okay, just... 土.

• New Members

"福", "旺", "祿", "貴", "吉", "祥" and "幸" all mean good fortune (good luck). But be careful to use with other negative words such as "不", "非", "薄" or which sounds like them. "幸" means good lock however "不幸" means bad luck (unlucky).:D