Chinese-Forums

White and red wine?

Christa

For white wine and red wine, do you guys just say 白酒 and 红酒 or do you say 白葡萄酒 and 红葡萄酒?

I once said 白酒 and the person I was talking to thought I meant liquor. Did any of you ever get that?

Christina

In Taiwan, you can use 白酒 for white wine. In China, 白酒 is always liquor, white wine is 白葡萄酒. In Taiwan, that type of hard liquor is 高粱酒 (if I'm not mistaken), so there is no danger for confusion there.

红酒 for red wine works on both sides of the strait, but 红葡萄酒 is also fine and a bit less informal.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Christa said:

I once said 白酒 and the person I was talking to thought I meant liquor. Did any of you ever get that?

On the mainland, Baijiu 白酒 is strong liquor. Not even close to white wine. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Also note that the same issue exists in the other direction.  If a Chinese person talks in English about "wine" or "white wine" then they are likely (depending on their level) talking about the strong liquor 白酒 and not the stuff made from grapes.

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, abcdefg said:

On the mainland, Baijiu 白酒 is strong liquor. Not even close to white wine. 

Agree, on the mainland 白酒 is never understood to mean white wine. It ranges from that nasty 二锅头 which is a close resemblance of  paint thinner :D , to really quite nice ones 

红酒 = Red wine

白葡萄酒 = White wine. 

People wouldn't usually say 红葡萄酒 to refer to red wine unless you are trying to specific for some reason. 

(Well I can't speak for all of China of course)

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Agree, on the mainland 白酒 is never understood to mean white wine. It ranges from that nasty 二锅头 which is a close resemblance of  paint thinner :D , to really quite nice ones 

Here's a way to turn erguoutou 二锅头 into something pretty nice. 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55547-middle-kingdom-limoncello/ 

IMG_2885.thumb.JPG.0da49408e5c31a8bf4f28b4716be4684.JPGIMG_2887.thumb.JPG.928160e00fd6da7baf3e44f64bb6db97.JPG