Chinese-Forums

Does My China Construction Bank Debit Card Have A Routing Number?

Pianote

You will need to go to the bank to get this sorted and fixed. Please see my reply to your related question. 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55791-why-does-my-china-construction-bank-card-keep-failing/?tab=comments#comment-430071 

You don't transfer funds direct to your Wells Fargo credit card from another bank. You have a bank account at Wells Fargo which is linked to your credit card, and you transfer funds to that bank account. You then pay off your Wells Fargo credit card from your Wells Fargo bank account. You make the transfer by contacting CCB, not Wells Fargo.

That said, international bank transfers are a minefield in China. Maybe you can transfer funds overseas, maybe you can't. But it is likely to be quite a hassle. If Chinese banks can make something difficult, they do. There are also expenses to consider. Fees can be relatively high for small international transfers, and both CCB and Wells Fargo may take a cut, and sometimes there's a bank in the middle taking a cut as well.

Ditto your problems paying online with your CCB card. As said, you need to have online banking and online payment functions open on your account. Even then, there are surprises you'll encounter. For example, use a PC and you'll probably discover by trial and error that it only works if you're using Internet Explorer as your browser. The bank may give you a dongle for online banking. You will waste hour after hour trying to get the dongle to work.

And we haven't even started to discuss the problems foreigners face getting registered on Wechat Wallet or Alipay with a Chinese bank card.

Point is, it takes time, maybe weeks, to work everything out.

• Helpful 1

26 minutes ago, 889 said:

For example, use a PC and you'll probably discover by trial and error that it only works if you're using Internet Explorer as your browser.

To do on-line banking with ICBC I must use Internet Explorer with a specially-installed proprietary anti-phishing add-on program. Had to download the latter from the bank website. 

Yes, in order to be able to enter your PIN you'll probably need to download and install a special "security control." If it doesn't install, then you'll need to change some settings on Windows and IE. Good luck with that.

Myself, I've finally given up trying to get the blasted dongle to work. Life is too short. Without the dongle, you can usually still pay reasonable amounts out of your account using your PIN and an SMS code the bank sends you each time.

I never use airbnb myself, but offhand it sounds like Wells Fargo may have blocked your card, if you tried it. This often happens when you start using a card overseas. You should call them and ask. (It's useful to set up Skype or something similar to make calls outside China cheaply.)

If it was your Chinese bank debit card, I assume it doesn't work on airbnb. Look here: they accept Alipay in China but not UnionPay (which is the system used by Chinese bank cards).

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/126/what-methods-of-payment-does-airbnb-accept

When I lived in the United States I banked with Wells Fargo, But now that I live in China I am banking with China Construction and my money is on my Chinese debit card.  Can I wire money from my China debit card to my American Wellsfargo card over the phone?

Merged with existing topic.

No, if it's an international transfer you will need to go to a branch - and likely an ICBC or Bank or China branch.  The easiest, most hassle-free way to do this is to go with a Chinese friend and have them do the transfer in their name.  Otherwise you will need copies of your employment contract, proof of taxes paid on the money you are sending and so on.  A Chinese person sending the transfer in their name doesn't have the same restrictions but is limited to sending a fixed amount per year (several tens of thousands US$).

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

To repeat, a Chinese bank can only make a transfer to your Wells Fargo savings or checking account. They can't make a transfer to your credit card.

And to repeat again, you'll find a "wire" transfer expensive. Unless you need the money in the U.S. very quickly, you might instead just buy a US$ check from CCB. This is, in effect, a US$ check drawn by CCB on its own U.S. bank account and payable to you. It's called a 美金汇票. You then send the check for deposit by mail to Wells Fargo, endorsing it like you do any check you mail in for deposit. This is slower of course, but cheaper, and simpler since "wire" transfers sometimes get lost or delayed in the system.

Actually, if your Wells Fargo account supports check-deposit-by-phone, you should be able to deposit a CCB US$ check right away from China. Just click a photo of the check with your Wells Fargo banking app and the money's transferred.

• Helpful 1