Chinese-Forums

Defining Relative Clauses in Chinese.

RichS

Hey all, I've noticed that I always ALWAYS seem to run into a mental roadblock when trying to express defining relative clauses in Chinese. For those not too familiar with a defining relative clause its a clause where the part of the sentence after the relative pronoun defines, or tells you about the subject of the sentence. I'll give a few examples.

The chair that I just stood up from.

The group that I play games with.

The place where I want to save the file.

They seem really simple constructions in English but I just can't figure them out in Chinese........

The chair that I just stood up from.

我刚从那把椅子站起来的那把椅子。

or maybe 我刚在坐在它上的那把椅子

The group that I play games with.

我跟那个群一起玩儿游戏的那个群

The place where I want to save the file.

那个我想把这个文档保存于那个地方的地方

They all seem really............................. clumsy and not right, yet I can't think of how to translate any of these phrases properly.

Thanks.

You're on the right track. You're just overcomplicating things. It's really just a matter of thinking of the action, dropping all the necessary English particles, and adding the 的什么.

我刚刚坐的椅子

和我打游戏的人

我要保存文件的地方

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, RichS said:

or tells you about the subject of the sentence

I assume this is the reason why word order looks awkward to you

In terms of information structure in discourse, English and Chinese are typologically different languages. Chinese is a topic-prominent language in which the topic plays an important role in the formation of a sentence, whereas English belongs to the group of subject-prominent languages in which the subject is an indispensable element that determines the English sentence pattern (Li & Thompson, 1976). 

https://repozytorium.amu.edu.pl/bitstream/10593/11318/1/SSLLT 4(1) 109-125 Li, Yang.pdf

• Like 1