Chinese-Forums

Chinese Drama and reading speed ???

赫杰

Hello,

I have tried a search on reading speed, but could not find too much.

I am a self taught two year student, who can write around 1000 characters (by review writing 200/day) and recognize 1500-2000. I am currently watching a chinese romance drama (skylovers) and constantly pausing and translating everything (and then later reviewing old episodes) as a source of new chinese vocabulary along with occasional online chat through QQ. I find these methods to very much more interesting (in some cases more rewarding) than my previous methods of reading grammar books and translating children stories among other usual methods of study.

I feel by hearing the language, seeing the action of it, AND seeing the characters is so productive as my mind seems to remember what I read/hear/see.

Now you know where I stand and my methods, I have a question:

how can I increase my reading speed of these dramas?!? Or, when did you find that your reading speed increased? Often, but not always I will view over the chinese subtitiles and follow along, recognize the characters but not get the meaning. Then when I go back and pause it and read it to myself just a tad bit slower, then I understand it! Do I just need time or is there a trick that helps you guys that I should know?!?

Also please comment on my methods of study, I am always open to other ideas!!

谢谢大家

HJ