Chinese-Forums

Chinese government bans hip hop and tattoos from TV

studychinese

4 hours ago, studychinese said:

Although almost everyone is denying the negative aspects of the West.

Where exactly are the denials you refer to from "almost everyone" in this thread?

4 hours ago, studychinese said:

It makes me laugh that someone from the UK, for example, would call China a police state.

If you had a closer acquaintance with rights defence work in the PRC, you wouldn't laugh. 

7 hours ago, studychinese said:

Although almost everyone is denying the negative aspects of the West. It makes me laugh that someone from the UK, for example, would call China a police state. Really sad.

4 hours ago, LiMo said:

It's important to note that popular perceptions of societal trends, especially threats and risk, are often very poor indicators of the real incidence of these things.

Am back in Texas just now for my annual visit. Two friends last week asked, "Aren't you worried about your personal safety over there?" Their perception was that I would be in constant serious danger, mainly from the police. 

I have no idea where such notions originate. From current-day TV coverage of the occasional urban riot perhaps. Or are they echoes of something learned in school about T Square? Maybe from Fox News telling them about how China is beefing up its navy. Did my well-intentioned friends think I might be rolled over by tanks while walking to or from the WalMart at Dongfeng Donglu and Huancheng Donglu? 

I reassured them that China was safer than Dallas, all in all. I don't think twice about waking the streets of Kunming late at night. Whereas, if going out and about for the evening in Dallas, I might reluctantly strap on my legally-licensed carry pistol, perform a John Wick loaded chamber check and make sure my spare magazine is topped up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zbigniew said:

If you had a closer acquaintance with rights defence work in the PRC, you wouldn't laugh.

I was speaking about the people of the West rather than people in this thread, but based on past interactions some cannot see problems in the West. 

In the UK your "rights" aren't even acknowledged as rights if you engage in the heresy of "racism", "homophobia", or any of the countless -isms or -phobias. In that case you don't have rights you are just someone that must be destroyed. 

The West has its sacred cows, and so does China. Unlike the West, China is more transparent in what is allowed and what is not. 

42 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

Two friends last week asked, "Aren't you worried about your personal safety over there?" Their perception was that I would be in constant serious danger mainly, from the police. 

You and your friends seem to have failed to make the elementary distinction between, on the one hand, what's commonly known as "law and order" and, on the other, rule of law. It is rule of law that the PRC is short on, and in essence it is inadequate rule of law that largely contributes to the existence of police states.

31 minutes ago, studychinese said:

In the UK your "rights" aren't even acknowledged as rights if you engage in the heresy of "racism", "homophobia", or any of the countless -isms or -phobias.

There are certainly critical questions in relation to tolerance and discrimination that, unhappily, the UK has not resolved. There are many problems besides militating against the operation of laudable levels of social justice.

35 minutes ago, studychinese said:

In that case you don't have rights you are just someone that must be destroyed. 

That sounds hyperbolical to me. I think in a calmer mood you'd agree it is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zbigniew said:

It is rule of law that the PRC is short on, and in essence it is inadequate rule of law that largely contributes to the existence of police states.

Yes, Mr. Z, that is well said. And the confusion you mentioned certainly does exist. Important to keep those concepts separate. Thank you for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, studychinese said:

In the UK your "rights" aren't even acknowledged as rights if you engage in the heresy of "racism", "homophobia", or any of the countless -isms or -phobias. In that case you don't have rights you are just someone that must be destroyed. 

What do you mean studychinese? Examples?

5 hours ago, Zbigniew said:

There are certainly critical questions in relation to tolerance and discrimination that, unhappily, the UK has not resolved. There are many problems besides militating against the operation of laudable levels of social justice.

Thanks for proving my point.

DavyJonesLocker, I would rather not give specific examples because it is off topic and beyond the scope of this site. I have been warned before and I do not want to transgress again. You can look into the abuses of the Race Relations Act, if you wanted to find examples.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 9:54 PM, studychinese said:

DavyJonesLocker, I would rather not give specific examples because it is off topic and beyond the scope of this site. I have been warned before and I do not want to transgress again. You can look into the abuses of the Race Relations Act, if you wanted to find examples.

OK sure, I was genuinely curious actually

Maybe start a new topic in the unchina related forum. It is interesting to see other people view of the world.