Chinese-Forums

Highest compliment is no compliment

Wippen (inactive)

When a Chinese person completely forgets he is speaking to you in Mandarin (because you are using his language at a level that is intelligible ) and is solely focused on delivering a message, rather than feeling the need to stop and point out how good your spoken Mandarin is, I  consider to be the highest praise. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, happy_hyaena said:

Is that an even higher compliment than the highest compliment?

No, because they are still wrapped up in the fact that "OMG a foreigner is speaking Chinese" (otherwise they wouldn't need to mention that you're not).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imron said:

No, because they are still wrapped up in the fact that "OMG a foreigner is speaking Chinese" (otherwise they wouldn't need to mention that you're not).

You're probably right. To be sure, one could do a Chinese Turing test.

1 hour ago, Tomsima said:

Isn't the highest compliment surely 'your chopstick skills are so good?

More like highest unintentional insult. I've had people who I had already spoken Chinese with be shocked that I would go for chopsticks instead of asking for cutlery :roll:

11 hours ago, Lu said:

荷兰人 (or he asked, I forgot). This went back and forth a bit and he actually got angry, calling me a 汉奸 for calling myself Dutch and not Chinese

I was hoping this ended with the person thinking you were 河南人 but this ending was equally amusing.

* I’ve decided my favourite least favourite is when people tell me I 長得像外國人

Best I’ve had with my manky intermediate skills is chatting online (via text) to people who have stopped after an hour to say ‘oh I’m sorry, I forgot you’re not Chinese’. It’s happened a few times and never felt like it was merely an encouraging compliment, but who knows.

I’ve had @Lu’s experience with Chinese-speaking people I know reasonably well seeing me write something in Chinese and being floored all over again. This is probably just due to all the 外国人 who don’t ever learn to write because it’s the 21st century now.

10 hours ago, imron said:

That's when I switch chopsticks to my left hand and start using them just as easily, to show that my chopstick skills are not just good, they are excellent.

This is next level.

I think if you have a bit of a beard and the light isn't so good then you can have someone ask you if you're from Xinjiang.  That's pretty good.

Oh! I forgot ...

I was eating dinner with my girlfriend and her friend. Some drunk guys on the next table thought I was from Xinjiang. I would say I hold no resemblance to someone from there.

feels good man 

"That's when I switch chopsticks to my left hand . . . ."

Now if you want to do something really impressive, perform Garfield's Ambidextrous Parlour Trick:

"[H]e excelled at Greek and Latin, and, as an ambidextrous linguist he used a unique party trick to entertain friends, simultaneously writing in Greek with one hand and Latin with the other." The Elected and the Chosen (2012).

1 hour ago, ChTTay said:

immediately after I’ve said I’ve lived in China for 6 years ...

It was for reasons like this I practiced chopsticks with my left hand. No need to get angry or upset, just cheerfully state you can also use them with your left hand, and then switch over. 

I’m left handed so the same people who talk about chopstick skills usually spend 15 minutes asking me why I use my left hand anyway. That’s real nice too. 

Something like :

A: Wow, you’re left handed!

B: yeah, that’s right.

A: Using your right hand is easier. Why do you use your left?

B: I’m left handed.

A: You write with your left hand too?

B: yeah, i’m left handed. 

A: What about [insert sport or anything that needs hands]?

B: Pretty much everything. I’m left handed. 

A: I can’t do anything with my left hand. What about your right hand?

B: Yeah, my right hand is like your left hand. 

A: So funny. Why did you decide to use your left hand? 

B: I’m left handed!!!!!! We just decide in school which is more comfortable then use that. 

A: In China, it’s not like this. 

Pretty accurate run down of a conversation I’ve had around 3 times to that extent. In Beijing it’s usually just a casual observation.