Chinese-Forums

Is It True That You Can Get In Trouble For Talking Badly About China Online ?

Pianote

What are the repercussions ?

How bad does what you say have to be ?

How fast do they track your comments?

Have you heard of any being deported or just talking about the bad part of China online ?

I like coming to this forum, btw!   XD

you all are always very kind and helpful :)

To answer your title question "Is It True That You Can Get In Trouble For Talking Badly About China Online?", it depends where you are in the world, what you mean by China, and what you mean by talking badly. It also depends what you mean by "you".

If by "China" you mean the CCP,  or individual CCP politicians, or certain of their policies, or certain aspects of China's recent history, then you can get in very serious trouble if you voice criticism online in the PRC. In fact you can get into very serious trouble if you merely document and disseminate information about certain things that are going on in the PRC, regardless of whether you engage in actual criticism.

On the last point - what you mean by "you" - even if you are not in the PRC and you are not Chinese, if you are connected with Chinese people living in the PRC, the CCP may try to silence you by making life uncomfortable for these people unless you shut up. If anyone doubts whether this happens, please be assured that I know for a fact that it does.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid sensitive topics on any social media/blogging site/app that you cannot be sure is anonymous or at least not sharing all your data with the State.

So no sharing of separatist content on WeChat, no playful tongue and (in?) cheek depictions of Xi Dada on your Weibo, no emails to outside anti-Chinese influencers (lol) on your QQ... That sort of thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

Too late, @Pianote -- The secret police are already on the way and will soon be knocking on your door. Look for two guys with gray overcoats and snap-brim fedoras. Sunglasses, even though it is evening; a 9 mm bulge under left armpit. 

• Like 4

Yes, this can happen. But not, in general, accidentally. You have a good chance you'll be deported if you become active in the Falun Gong, or join a protest for a free Tibet, or such activities. If you're not sure whether a certain activity or publication is a good idea, ask your Chinese friends or coworkers. If they say something is a bad idea, don't do it. Online, I think just saying 'bad' things won't get you in trouble straight away, only if you have a sizeable following.

All that said, best keep your criticism offline.

And as always, try to only worry about things in the daytime, not late in the evening.

• Like 1

If in doubt don't, don't write anything down or online or record your thoughts in way if you are not sure.

Be nice to people, enjoy yourself and leave worry and doubt in a box under the stairs.

Sleep well, eat well, study and learn.

I'd seriously advise against it if you are in China or ever want to have anything to do with China.

Be aware that communications over chat programs are monitored and consequences can be quite severe if you were to publish anything that the government feels is to their detriment in a group. The consequences are more severe if the viewership or members of a group are more than 100 (IIRC).

If you want to live in China, some self-censorship is a good idea.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Pianote said:

What are the repercussions ?

How bad does what you say have to be ?

How fast do they track your comments?

I know someone who suddenly insists never to talk politics even at home anymore and this after 12 years of living in China. This is a friend who was once very outspoken and open. I think someone has had a chat to him about it. He is a foreigner married to a Chinese.

Several years back, there was a native Chinese member of Chinese-forums who made some disparaging posts about the Chinese government and who subsequently received a visit from the PSB, and then asked us to remove those posts and also remove personally identifiable information from their account.  It's one of the rare times we have deleted a thread at the request of the person who posted it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tøsen said:

Is that sound advice if you are planning to go back to China at some point?

If you have any significant social media following in China, then I'd be much more careful. There are laws on the books about spreading misinformation with which they can charge you if more than 100 people receive this "misinformation". (As Mango mentioned above)

If you might like to go back one day, I'd do my best not to burn any of your bridges while keeping in mind that Chinese bridges are sometimes painted in a very different color, yet still be promoting your vision for a better common humanity, criticism often being a great vehicle for that progress.

Edited by 歐博思
Didn't read all the posts ;)

I think if foreigners got in trouble for taking badly about china there would be no foreigners  left in the country.

Unless your up to something political or illegal you will be safe. 

However I would add I particularly don't like foreigners who constantly complain about china and yet stay there. 

If you don't like it, well leave!