Chinese-Forums

Most peculiar looking chengyu and easiest chengyu

Wippen (inactive)

不了了之 on its own this chengyu hardly looks Chinese due to the scarcity of strokesn  and add an 了 and you get不了了之了. Means fizzle out or come to nothing

The simplest and easiest to remember (also to write ) to me  is 七上八下 (also got a good story) means at sixes and sevens :-) often used with 心里

Have you got more to add? Like which is the most difficult chengyu to remember? Or the funniest, the most bizarre, wise etc?

• Like 2

My favourite ones:

提筆忘字,because it's an illness we all suffer from :D

一日三秋:it's super romantic, Valentine's day is just around the corner, don't forget to use it! 

臥虎藏龍: when you discover that the title of a movie has a deeper meaning, and only some people can decipher it

笨鳥先飛:I like to see myself as that silly bird. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

13 hours ago, Tomsima said:

魑魅魍魎

That chengyu is 生动活泼but leaves one 吓得发抖 .I really like that 魑魅魍魎 chengyu. I like that fact each character looks similar with the same "魂".

13 hours ago, edelweis said:

不三不四

Gives me the feeling of 似曾相识

@edelweis All of our three chosen chengyu use characters that are in the top 100 for frequency.   不三不四,    不了了之 ,    七上八下

@Tomsima How are the characters in the vivid  魑魅魍魎  ranked :-)

I cannot find a table that shows which chengyu is the most frequently used. Anyone has an easy to access chengyu frequency list?

21 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

The one that sticks most in my head is 

人山人海

reminded me of this chengyu

开门见山 - come straigt to the point. Nice imagery and at the same you wonder why there is a chengyu for this situation:-) (Chinese like the indirect route)

incidentally this chengyu is also an easy one to remember. Like it.

18 hours ago, anonymoose said:

龘靐齉爩

18 hours ago, imron said:

It means that feeling you get when you can't read the characters because all the strokes are squashed together.

It means "whoever told you that no one ever needs those retina displays do not know this chengyu."