Chinese-Forums

Survey time - what apps are you using to study with?

Pengyou

I have not found any surveys on this topic in the past 4 years.  What are your top 4 apps to use to help you in your Chinese studies?  I have noticed that a lot of "used to be freebies" are no longer free, so I have to spend a little more time before choosing and shelling out the gold....

Pleco-notecards and dictionary 

audacity-pronunciation practice

Ximalayafm-Chinese podcasts

Thats all I actually use but I also have a subscription to The Chairman’s Bao which I used extensively before native level content was doable

• Like 1

Pleco with a bunch of modules, but the most useful ones are the flashcard module, the Guifan C-C dictionary, and the ABC C-E dictionary.

Chinese Text Analyser - for prioritizing vocab and finding suitable material. Disclosure I made this, so I'm biased.

These are the only two I use with any regularity.  Everything else is just native content.  

Pleco for dictionary/flashcards. 

Chinese Text Analyser for prioritizing vocab.

I used to use Anki but always found it a bit stressful.  I couldn't automatically make flashcards, had trouble getting Chinese definitions and autocomplete audio clips - all of these happen automatically in Pleco.  

• Like 2

1) 得到 Its pay to use, but it means the quality is consistently high and there's still loads of great free podcasts (I have been using it daily for around 3 months now and have yet to shell out for a paid package…although I'm starting to consider it). 10 min - 1 hr podcast with full transcripts, private discussion forums with author and other subscribers, fantastic for those looking for interesting and varied daily native content.

2) 央视新闻 Its free and consistent, updated constantly and TV streaming is good. But be prepared for the CCTV reporting style, it's 'unique'

3) workaudiobook, I have both Android and pc. PC is much better as it records your voice, but the Android version is usable and convenient.

4) chinese-forums. For endless amounts of invaluable advice and guidance ;)

• Like 1

1. Anki
  2. Pleco with almost all the dictionaries purchased (totally worth the money)
  3. Inkstone (open source Android character learning app similar to Skritter)
  4. QualityTime (Android app for measuring how long you use certain apps - I use it to measure how long I use my ebook reader app and track how my reading rate improves over time)
  • Like 1