Chinese-Forums

Today's favourite word

fenlan

I found this word today: feng4yan3, 凤眼, meaning "beautiful eyes" (phoenix eyes). But how could I use this word in a sentence? I don't think one could say, "你有凤眼". Maybe you could say, "她的凤眼吸引着我"?

And is this a word most Chiense people would know?

I found this word today: feng4yan3, 凤眼, meaning "beautiful eyes" (phoenix eyes).

凤眼 does not mean beautiful eyes, but just what it says -- phoenix eyes. Many Westerners are believed to prefer the stereotypic 凤眼 Chinese girls as they look more traditional and exotic.

Like this:

el050206018.jpg

Fenlan, 凤眼 is short for 丹凤眼, which depicts the corner of the eye(is that the right expression for 眼角?) bends upward a little. 凤眼 is regarded as beautiful but it is also believed to show the characteristics of being scheming,verjuice,awesome of a woman.so my suggestion is you not use it as a compliment since it leads to misunderstanding.

expamle: 一双丹凤三角眼,两弯柳叶吊梢眉。-----------《红楼梦》第三回 this is the discription of the 王熙凤。

however, your sentences are all excellent. :mrgreen:

and the word '拉拉队',拉 here means 'chat' it is usually used in some dialects. and in this circumstance, 拉 and 啦 are interchangeable. and they both mean 'chat'. while actually 拉拉队 is the original form, 啦啦队 is gradually being accepted.

ABCD also translates it as "rooters", which means nothing to me!

last definition on http://www.answers.com/rooting&r=67

root

intr.v., root·ed, root·ing, roots.

To give audible encouragement or applause to a contestant or team; cheer. See synonyms at applaud.

To lend support to someone or something.

e.g. Which team are you rooting for?