Chinese-Forums

What is your Chinese name?

wix

I must have gone through 3-4 different names:

- my university in Peking giving me one based on their butchering of my real name

- my friends turning that one into something else that resembled a more common Chinese name for foreigners

- me shortening that one for ease of use...

a name in China is no simple business! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

My Chinese name is 文静。 It's kinda funny how I got this name. When we first came to China, my dad was going to be a teacher. We were living on the campus of a smaller school in Hainan. The day we got there about 40 students came to help us move in. A girl came up to me and said, "can I give you a Chinese name?" I said, "yeah, I"d like that/"

She said, "ok, your name can be wenjing. It's a very good Chinese name. Now, I know that many of the students in this school are going to try to change it, but don't you let them! Keep this name!"

I agreed that I would do so because I thought wenjing sounded good... Well, that was about 9 years ago and I have kept this name. It's the first Chinese word that I learned to say. I do get alot of people telling me that it is a very good Chinese name... the only thing is... I"m not sure in fits me. lol

My English name is Lee-Anne. When I came to Taiwan, I needed a Chinese name fast, to get a chop made, to buy a scooter. I wanted something really easy to write that sounded like my English name.

I ended up with 李安 and only found out afterwards that this is Ang Lee's (as in the movie director) name.

Now, everytime somebody finds out my Chinese name I get to hear all about Ang Lee. Again. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

Wenjing: I knew a girl in Beijing with exactely the same name.

As to my own name, I met a girl called Shi Rujun, who was called Lu or Lulu when she was very small and didn't have a real name yet. Same Shi and same Lu as me. So although my name may still sound like shampoo or perfume or some expensive courtisane, it is at least a real and sufficiently acceptable Chinese name.

Plus I sat in the taxi of a guy whose given name was Kelong. 克隆. Here they have a different word for clone, but this guy should not go to the Mainland.

Pamokkha, your name sounds fine to me. I'm not Chinese, though.

I'm a new student of Chinese and don't know many words, but I'd like to give myself a Chinese name. My English given name is Lawrence, and friends and family call me Larry. (My screen name here, Lorenzo, is the Spanish equivalent to Lawrence.) Any good ideas for a name?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm half-english and half-taiwanese, I've taken my mothers family name 朱 and I've she's told me I can either write my first (Jason) as 杰声 or 杰生。 The first meaning something like prominent voice (though not sure what connetation 'voice' is) and the second prominent or long life. Not sure which to use when I eventually need to apply for a chinese visa :)

i have a British friend that grew up in HK. his name is Dylan Williams and he gave himself the Chinese name of 衛狄龍. hehheh i thought it was very clever of him because it's a really strong name, it has meaning, plus it even sounds like his English name.

(i hope he doesn't read this and have a problem with me posting his names up on the web.)

• 4 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I couldn't resist...

The Chinese name given to me by my teachers, as you may've guessed, is 崔瑞德 (Cui1 Rui4de2). I know what its parts mean, but I'm not sure how 'authentic' it is, or if it's based off my first name, Richard (though I go by my middle name, class rosters haunt me...). I think the sound is nice, and I've gotten quite used to it, as have my tongxue... I had difficiculty at first correctly pronouncing the de2, so one of my teachers made me repeat myself until I got it right. It is a bit disconcerting that my Hong Kong friend said in cantonese it sounds similar to 'bull****-duck'.