Chinese-Forums

Navigating Customs

艾墨本

I've just received a package from the US and got a letter saying I need to either go pick up the package from customs or file for it online. But have run into a snag. I haven't gone to the station yet because of the requirement stating circled in red in the picture. Note, 200 USD is over 1000 RMB. For those that have done this in Shanghai, did they really require you to have receipts? The things were purchased state side but my Mom sent the package this way. Would simply saying I don't have the receipts since it was a gift work?

customs1

customs2

customs3

If they're fussy and do want some paperwork, then have your mother prepare and send you a pro-forma invoice.

https://dhlguide.co.uk/going-global/pro-forma-invoices/

It's essentially a receipt from your mother, something you can give Customs if they insist on a piece of paper.

(It's easier to view images if you upload them here.)

• Like 1

My mother sent me a parcel before christmas that ended up at EMS for absolutely ages. I ended up getting an agent to deal with it - there were all sorts of problems as the parcel didn't have my middle name (so it didn't match my passport) and EMS had written my surname wrong (so, of course, it didn't match my passport). Plus they wanted tax! In the end I paid an agent 300 kuai, which included the tax and her fee. My colleague did a lot of the paperwork but I did have to supply receipts (or scans of receipts) so that EMS could work out how much tax to charge.

I had to go out to the EMS office round the back of Hongqiao airport, which was an absolute drag, but got my parcel in the end - I'm not sure it would have been possible without the agent. 

• Like 1

but what if these are personal effects purchased a long time ago... you're not going to be able to provide receipts. surely the chinese customs authorities cant be saying you can only ship new things into china. 

this is such typical chinese gov't nonsense.

the EMS slip says you can try doing it via Wechat... i would try that first...

worst case is they'll probably let it go through after many headaches and a bit of filthy luchre.

• Like 1

@laomao Where did you find the agent? I was warned by a friend that deals with customs for work that since it is 两会 period, leniency of any sort goes out the window. Jumping to a customs agent might just make this whole process much less painful instead of struggling first and then going for it. How much an agent costs is a big factor though... Might have to at least try the form 889 mentions.

@889 The pro-forma invoice looks promising. I'll give it a go.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, laomao said:

EMS had written my surname wrong (so, of course, it didn't match my passport).

Just looking back at the forms and realized my Mom's "a" wasn't pronounced enough and was entered into EMS as an "o"... This is getting more complicated.

14 hours ago, dtcamero said:

the EMS slip says you can try doing it via Wechat... i would try that first...

Needs a 身份证... Classic, right? I'll wait for class on Tuesday and ask a Chinese classmate.

I had medications for personal use get hung up in customs after being sent by express from the US. They not only wanted purchase receipts, but also wanted copies of the prescriptions. None were controlled substances; all were benign and common items. Made several attempts at resolving the problem, some with the aid of local friends, but all failed. I didn't try a customs agent. Probably should have. 

Now, several years later, my meds are probably still on a shelf in a customs shed in Shenzhen awaiting disposition. They never made it as far as Kunming. Apparently the first sorting and official handling took place in Shenzhen. 

28 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

I had medications for personal use get hung up in customs after being sent by express from the US. They not only wanted purchase receipts, but also wanted copies of the prescriptions. None were controlled substances; all were benign and common items. Made several attempts at resolving the problem, some with the aid of local friends, but all failed. I didn't try a customs agent. Probably should have. 

interesting parallel story: I was in Kunming two years ago and forgot some beta-blockers which I need at altitude (re-entry tachy). I had them sent but normal surface mail and they arrived ten days later. No questions asked and no obstacles.

1 hour ago, Tøsen said:

interesting parallel story: I was in Kunming two years ago and forgot some beta-blockers which I need at altitude (re-entry tachy). I had them sent but normal surface mail and they arrived ten days later. No questions asked and no obstacles.

I suppose our two anecdotes point up the difficulty of generalizing about such things in China. (smile)

27 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

suppose our two anecdotes point up the difficulty of generalizing about such things in China. (smile)

I was trying to infer that plain surface mail may be a reason why it was not intercepted further.

44 minutes ago, Tøsen said:
1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

I was trying to infer that plain surface mail may be a reason why it was not intercepted further.

right, i.e. not declaring your drugs.probably more efficient for shipping, probably not legal.

as we all know many asian countries do not have a very rational worldview regarding pharmaceuticals, legal or otherwise. properly prescribed or otherwise. i would strongly advise against this regardless of the headaches involved.

if you need drugs it's best to get them the normal way in you home country and bring them with you in your luggage... ideally with the prescription.

36 minutes ago, dtcamero said:

ideally with the prescription.

This is a really good piece of advice. I had not considered that. Since my medicine has not got any euphoric or barbiturate qualities I just presumed it was ok.

16 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

@laomao Where did you find the agent? I was warned by a friend that deals with customs for work that since it is 两会 period, leniency of any sort goes out the window. Jumping to a customs agent might just make this whole process much less painful instead of struggling first and then going for it. How much an agent costs is a big factor though... Might have to at least try the form 889 mentions.

I got a colleague to find me one on taobao. I tried to use the EMS website first of all but it didn't seem possible without chinese ID. 

Another colleague had a parcel held up and tried to sort it himself - when he then contacted an agent, the agent said they couldn't pick up the case halfway through. He did eventually get the parcel himself, but it took him 4 months. 

• Helpful 1

Update: I went and picked up the package. I had to go to Hongqiao Airport subway station and then biked to the nearby EMS customs station (roughly 10 mins).

It didn't take too long but did try to play the foreign card asking for help with relatively simply Chinese tasks.

I had to fill out a form and list out all the stuff that were in the box and how much it was valued at. I could also write 旧 which meant the value was 0 RMB. They did not verify what I wrote down was the same as what was in the box.

They needed ask for any copies of receipts despite saying they would on the forms. I did need to provide two copies of my passport and entry visa. There was a printing service there that I made use of.

They did not pay mind to the mistyped "a" in my last name which was typed as an "o."

I ended up paying 116 RMB in taxes which seemed very reasonable.

The whole process took about 40 minutes.