Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
JNobbi

Mandarin Corner

JNobbi

There is a YouTube-Channel called Mandarin Corner https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fAiRQHRQT9aj9P_ijYeow which was established one year ago and offers a lot of videos for learning Chinese conversation and free transcripts, audio files and flash cards for those videos on the web site http://www.mandarincorner.org/. A Chinese friend  from Xi'An told me that the pronunciation of the presenter Eileen is not so good, because she has a strong accent and does not speak standard Mandarin. Do you believe it is possible to use this YouTube-channel for learning Chinese nevertheless or should I skip the audio and just use the written material?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

happy_hyaena

How good are you? I think if you're a beginner, you should focus on learning to emulate Chinese speech from someone with very good pronunciation. But eventually, you'll reach a point where you need to listen to a wider range of pronunciation.

Publius

Eileen comes from Jiangxi Province where Gan Chinese is spoken. Technically her native language is not Mandarin (though very close, much much closer than Cantonese or Shanghainese for example). She has a Jiangxi accent. Most notably ng->n, e.g. 欢迎 *huānyín, 经常 *jīncháng, 称 *chēn, 热情 *rèqín (because there is no -ing and -eng in Gan Chinese, only -in and -en). There is also no retroflex sounds in Gan, so her zh/ch/sh/r/er is a little bit unnatural. Her pronunciation is not very standard compared to the channels in your other post. But the video has pinyin subtitles and she speaks really slow. To echo happy_hyaena's opinion, I think it's fine as supplementary material, but not recommended for beginners who are still struggling with the basic sounds.

I just watched some of the Wet Market video, and apart from her accent -- which I'm not too fond of -- I found the content/fluff ratio far far too low. Mostly she's strolling through the market and every once in a while she'll throw out a very simple sentence. That is, it's essentially a five-minute video stretched out to an hour, and that's just a waste of your studying time.

So many of these YouTube language videos, not just Chinese, are like this: not enough content to be worthwhile.

I also thought the audio quality wasn't as good as it should be for a language lesson, and the captions too small as well.

happy_hyaena

She has better videos, like this one where she walks around with a lady in a fishing village located somewhere in Guangdong.

Flickserve

The wet market video is too slow. I think the others are mostly ok.

I would rather have shorter videos in bitesize pieces but everybody has a different listening ability and concentration span. 

Since she is based in south China, I think that is good for learners who have been exposed mainly in north to practice listening skills.