Chinese-Forums

What are the drug laws like in China?

DavyJonesLocker

I had an interesting conversation today about drug policy in China. To my surprise I heard that possession of drugs like weed and steroids are legal in China. That seems exceptionally odd to me but who knows.! Hard drugs like heroin couldn't be legal. Steroids for example are legal in UK. Sale or intent to distribute are illegal though

Anybody know? 

• Like 1

I’m fairly sure that’s incorrect also. 

As an example, Jackie Chan’s son was arrested and imprisoned for 6 months for having marijuana on him and for testing positive for that substance. 

• Like 3

The legal system in China is not professionalized to the extend seen in the West. Although I believe possession of drugs like marijuana to be very much illegal (re Jackie Chans son), even if it wasn't technically illegal, that doesn't mean you or anyone else should take that risk. Try explaining to a Chinese cop that you know the laws better than they do. That doesn't even work in the US

Yeah I too find  incredulous so thought I'd ask here. 

The conversion came up because an mma fighter is coming to China for their sport  and wanted find out about steroid possession. He was told a few times by his camp he could  use them without repercussion. However I suspect what's going on is that he will be prescribed some anabolic steroids  for "medical reasons ". All seemingly legal but obviously a farce.

• New Members

在中国,贩卖、运输、销售毒品的人往往会受到严厉查处。只要一次性携带超过5克的毒品,贩毒团伙通常会被判处死刑。但中国对某些药物的管控不像西方国家那样严格。比如说你在中国能够买到芬太尼。

In China, people who sell, transport and sell drugs are often severely punished. As long as more than 5 grams of drugs are carried at once, drug trafficking gangs are usually sentenced to death. However, China's control over certain drugs is not as stringent as in Western countries. For example, you can buy fentanyl in China.

This is the New York Times report on fentanyl.
https://cn.nytimes.com/china/20171110/china-opioid-trump/dual/

I think this would hinge on whether or not the steroids are considered a “drug” drug. Like the 毒品 kind and not the 藥物 kind. I am too lazy to sift through all the 肌肉男 search results of baidu to find out which. But yes definitely marijuana is 100% not legal.

2 hours ago, 王麻子 said:

In China, people who sell, transport and sell drugs are often severely punished. As long as more than 5 grams of drugs are carried at once, drug trafficking gangs are usually sentenced to death

I think this is the  key factor (and with what 陳德聰 noted ). The above doesn't mention "possession ". Laws in other countries like the UK are different for selling and possession. You can freely walk through Heathrow airport with steroids that you have bought on the black market. Odd as that may seem. If you carry to much it can be seen as intent to supply.

Anyway I'd be more concerned with the health issue of injecting something knocked up in a dirty kitchen at the back of a middle shop!