Chinese-Forums

Does anyone do this?

RogerGe

Does anyone do this? When typing a less common word or character, for example 琛 (sometimes used in names), it just completely stuffs up my whole pinyin selection order for chen, and now when I type chen and then spacebar, it will come out as 琛, even though it was just a one-off thing. I use 搜狗, so I can always press the 首 button to put the more common chen options back to the front, but it's work! 

I have some things that I do to counter this, for example just then when I wrote 首, I actually typed in shoufu, spacebar, then backspaced, that way it doesn't stuff up my shou selection order, because 首 is mostly used in combination with other characters to from words, rather than by itself. Sometimes if it is a rarer character and I can't really think of a word that the character is part of, I will open trackpad handwriting (function spacebar on Mac) and write it that way, for example 沪 or 鑫, instead of screwing up my pinyin selection for hu and xin. If I want to type 秦, I type qshh for 秦始皇 then double backspace, so that I save trouble the next time I type 亲. If I am typing someone's name which does not come up as part of the 词库 or the loading cloud thingy (what is that called by the way?), for example 龚羽欣, which I just made up, I would type 龚先生 double backspace, 羽毛 backspace, 欣欣向荣 (xxxr to be fast) triple backspace. Of course I could do it by typing it individually character by character, which would stuff up my pinyin selection for gong, yu and xin, or I could just type gongyuxin then slowly select each one, which is good if I ever need to type it again, but a waste of time if it's just a one time thing. (I just typed gongyuxin and the cloud loading thingy came up with 龚雨欣, but it's normally not that lucky). Also I just discovered a few days ago by accident that you can drag a word out and make it disappear from word selection in 搜狗, but this doesn't work for individual characters for obvious reasons. 

Am I just weird? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2018 at 2:01 PM, Beelzebro said:

Haha, I also do that all the time when it's a less common character and I can't be arsed to sift through the suggestions to select the right one.

I'm pretty sure I've seen actual Chinese people do this. I do it too.

But I don't do it to avoid 'stuffing up my pinyin queue', mine doesn't really do that. For a certain period of time it remembers the xin or hu or whatever I used and puts it on the first row of options next time I type it, and then it forgets, or sort of forgets but remembers again quite easily... Actually I have no idea what the inner workings of my IME are. It's mostly a mystery to me, so I don't do anything special to get it to work a certain way, because it does its own thing anyway. It works well, no complaints here.