Chinese-Forums

Higher proportion of new words in China?

Wippen (inactive)

I have a feeling there is a higher proportion of new words are appearing in the Chinese language than there is in English, say. This is based on a 'feeling' and is based on the many new phenomena occurring in China. Examples of new words appearing in recent years include: 月光族,官二代,闪婚,

Anyone knows where the new words appearing in the Chinese language are counted, where this can be looked up?

It would be interesting to know. If there are more new words, this could indicate there are many new phenomena that are common and therefore need a "name". 

Could it also indicate the Chinese language lends itself to more creativity?

Is the compact hanzi way of expressing a concept also useful when it comes to new word creations?

What do you think?

I think there are plenty of new words being created in English all the time, here are some ones recently added to the dictionary, and keep in mind there are plenty that have been created that aren't in the dictionary yet either e.g. lol and others.

Can't help with a source for new Chinese words.

• Like 1

I think it would be very hard to establish which out of English and Chinese is currently more productive of neologisms unless you completely equalized the degrees of monitoring, reporting and recording of neologisms in the two languages. In practice this would be impossible to achieve. 

50 minutes ago, imron said:

that aren't in the dictionary yet either e.g. lol

"LOL" was accepted by the OED a few years back, apparently: https://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/previous-updates/march-2011-update/

One of the most recent entries is "Mansplaining". A Chinese translation, anyone?

I feel like hot dog is a word, even if it is strictly two words, they comprise a single noun. Like ice cream or fire hydrant. All of those have spaces inside but in my opinion they still represent a word. All of them are strictly two words but are also listed as a pair in the dictionary separate from either word alone, I guess at that point it’s mostly a discussion on semantics rather than creating ways to describe items or concepts that didn’t have a name before.

• Like 1

@imron that thread has great content. Thanks for posting also liked the name Mental Floss.

@Zbigniew 

@publius I  was not trying to test an academic hypothesis. Nevertheless thanks for your insightful comments.

In the meantime I have found an answer that I can use for my pondering. :-)

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

"What constitutes a word" and "who gets to decide" -- these are difficult questions to answer.

I asked because I wanted to remind the OP that the lack of orthographic boundaries in one language might be influencing her perception regarding the proportion of new words in Chinese and English.

There are more hair-splitting questions.

Is NBA a valid word in the Chinese language? Does it count as a word in English?

And since some people make a clear distinction between acronym and initialism, how about NASA? 打拐办打狗办? roflmaobbq? 喜大普奔?

Is "couth" a word? I remember not so long ago it was used to demonstrate the concept of bound morphemes.

What about nonce words such as mauvemail, vajayjay, covfefe? How many times must a word be used, before you can call it a word?

When it comes to new, is 河蟹 a new word? 強國? "to be disappeared?" "to Netflix and chill?"

Is "it me" a new word or am I missing something?

Is 兰州烧饼 a new word? What's wrong with 沙县小吃?

• Like 3