Chinese-Forums

Previously working in China and Confucius Scholarship

Anaxx

i don't think it should to be honest. Although i've never been to China myself, i was following many threads on this forum (as i'm also applying for CI scholarship) and found that many people had previous experience of work or even study in China. Many people even applied while being at China, so there should be no problems here. The most important i think is your HSK exam. What program do you want to apply for?

• New Members

I applied for a Chinese Government Scholarship last year while working in China. I was awarded the scholarship (one of the first spots actually) so I very much doubt that having worked in China previously could hinder your application, I'd assume that it actually strengthens your position as long as you have good references, that's it!

I'd assume the rationale of those claiming that having worked in China actually is regarded as negative aspect for potential awardees is that the Confucius Institute or the Chinese Government are actually looking forward to attracting "fresh blood" to the country (i. e. foreigners that haven't been to China yet) to expand their soft power more effectively and not waste resources on those who are already familiar with the country. While this train of thought is definitely logical there's no solid proof backing it up and my personal experience with my CGS application proves the opposite.

In any case, best of lucks with your application!